1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts with the Ministry of Education Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cams96, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jimbostories69

jimbostories69 New commenter

thank you for your reply - I've decided I'm not taking the position BUT I'm going to email the recruiter and ask for clarification - I'll post the reply- at the very least I can put them on the spot - this site has been so helpful -thanks to everyone who posted - I've read them all

2. jimbostories69

Yes, most adverts say accommodation provided and this one doesn't- my initial plan was to stay in a small apartment/ maybe shared for a couple of years and save like mad

3. jimbostories69

Okay- got a reply to clarify the supposed £80 000 salary - it is exactly as suspected - what someone in the UK would be making AFTER they paid tax

4. 34knockthedoor

34knockthedoor New commenter

Plus 20 000 per year rent

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

That is still taking home £54 000 a year, its a lot better than you would get in the UK.

6. 34knockthedoor

There are teachers in the UK on the personal forum here who are living in homes worth 300-600k. I wrote a thread about house prices in the UK and some snobs said theres were worth 600k. How could they afford that on less than 54k per year then?

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Minus.

And not forgetting the pension contributions which neither you or your employer are putting in to either the state or professional pension.

It's not impressive.

8. dumbbells66

What is the average monthly pension for teachers in the UK now?...seen as on average thry only live 10 years past retirement?o_O

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

You've been out of the country a while haven't you m8, they don't live to retirement these days :)

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. 34knockthedoor

so basically any international contract is not as good as back in the UK then if you are only on 40k gross per year as they don't pay your pension contributions which are worth 10k a year. We should all be on 50k then a year not 40. so why do people take on jobs without considering the loss of pension contributions?

11. dumbbells66

But an M6 teacher in the UK outside of London only takes home £26,282. Ever if you added on the £10 000 a year for pension contributions, that would still be £18 000 a year over that at this school, which for this part of the world is pretty low. I think you are over estimating what teachers in the UK make Musikteech

12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Any teacher going into teaching for the money is not onto a winner IMO.

Why do you consider people living in high value homes to be snobs? There are lots of situations in which teachers in the UK could live in high value homes - the simplest of which would be an experienced teacher whose spouse has an equivalent or higher salary. Or a teacher who has been in their home for more than 10 years and seen its value appreciate significantly. Or one who has inherited the home, or a large sum of money. Or one who has career changed from something more lucrative to something more altruistic. Or, or, or. Open your mind, but don't forget that living in a mortgaged home is not the same as owning a home.

Because they are desperate to leave the country at any cost, or because they have no intention of returning, or because they don't think about future securities, or because they have other financial plans for future security, or because they feel that their quality of life will be improved so much that it doesn't matter, or ... on and on.

Have you no imagination?

13. jimbostories69

I'd have to pay for my own accommodation and also take care of my wife and children in the UK though- as my daughter doesn't want to move until she finishes her GCSE's- accommodation and taking care of my family would take about £35 000 out of that £54 000 so it simply wouldn't be worth it -

well, I'm done here I think - thanks to everyone - really helped

14. dumbbells66

There are much better paying schools around the world. Dont think the ME is the best place for high paying jobs....its not...maybe 10 or 15 years ago, but not now, except a very select few schools.
    You will always struggle while you have such high costs back in the UK. maybe put off the move until your daughter is ready to move with you.
    Recruitment season is well under way for next years jobs, you could have a look at whats available to see where you could go.

jimbostories69 likes this.
  15. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

If they bought a house in 1987, average London house price was £55000. It is now £482000, and a pretty unbelievable £898000 for an average detached house in London.

16. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

I'm not sure the figures people are using here are correct. Bit of background: I worked in the UAE for 4 years (with ADEC) before returning home. I'm now in the process of applying to return - I have friends out there and have researched quite thoroughly the changes since I left.

First of all, many people are speaking about Dubai as though it's the be-all and end-all place to live. All emirates have something to offer, but it depends what you want. Really, seriously, do your research on whether you could cope in any of those places. If in doubt, my advice is: don't. The MoE is not just Dubai. It's all 5 emirates that don't fall under the jurisdiction of Abu Dhabi. Yes, you'll be placed as they need, once you arrive. That could be Dubai, of course, or Sharjah, but it could equally be Umm Al Quwain, which is tiny, or Ras Al Khaimah which is a long way from Dubai. This is the risk you're taking.

The main point here is the money. The payment they offer is 21,000dhs. We won't convert yet, let's do some maths.

21,000 per month = 252,000 per annum. Your housing rent, in Dubai, could be as little as 70,000 dhs or as much as you like. Be realistic here. You don't blow everything on a fancy apartment unless you're just going for the lifestyle. If you want to save, bank on about 70,000 or less. Outside Dubai, less than 70,000 is quite feasible. Around 50,000 should do you. Fees etc will put that up to about 55,000 per year.

So, that leaves you with 197,000 dhs per annum for everything else. Remember this is tax free, so you're looking at £41,000 pa AFTER tax (because you don't pay it). Divide that down, that's £3417 per month in your pocket. To have that as take home pay, you'd have to be earning £57,000 a year in the uk, BUT that's after whatever rent you'd be paying. In the UK you'd need to be paying about £1000 (for argument's sake) per month for rent for an equivalent quality apartment. So, in effect, you have the lifestyle of someone on around £78,000 pa. Not too shabby.

The cost of living is what you want it to be. You can live well for quite a small amount. Electric and and water aren't as expensive as here, and petrol is virtually nothing. Renting a car is about £300 a month for a decent car. It's all what you make it. So whichever way you look at it, there's money to be saved if you're willing to put up with a bit of uncertainty.

About 13,000 dhs is paid for 'accommodation' costs by the MoE. The 'Basic' salary is about 7400 dhs iirc. This mean that they keep the cost of the end of service gratuity down, as that's only based on the basic salary - 1 month's basic salary for every year youj work there.

Hope this helps.

olawale1 likes this.
  17. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Exactly. The point made above is that this is not a good package for the UAE, which it isn't. My OH was paid more than this as a primary class teacher in a non MoE school in Dubai, with accomodation and bills paid for by the school, not coming out of the salary payment as in the case you have mathematically manipulated.

By comparison to other UAE packages which include accommodation, it is a poor deal.

18. okmohito

okmohito New commenter

Not to mention the fact that without accommodation you will have to pay 12 months upfront in the UAE. Now what happens once you have paid that 70,000 AED upfront and then your boss comes and says...look we don'tlike your red tie so you're fired! You just lost 70 grand AED.

Plus anyway this 21000 dirhams a month salary without accommodation is simply the yearly ESL job that is advertised by many recruitment companies looking for gullible teachers. I know what contract this is.

Primary class teachers paid MORE than 21k with accomm? WOWWWWWWWWWWW. EAsy Peasy

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Bit of an exception ... came with 20 years teaching experience and 10 years leadership :) The school was succession planning, but we left instead!

20. jezperrott

jezperrott New commenter

EXACTLY. Where would you be able to take home £54K after tax?