1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts with the Ministry of Education Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cams96, Sep 22, 2016.

1. amitshukla489

amitshukla489 New commenter

Hi

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

How do you motivate teenagers to learn who already know that he/she will earn twice as much as you by lifting not much and knowing eff all? Teenagers whose healthy bank balances can't afford basic manners and etiquette.....

Language is your biggest tool. Your second one is for reforms to happen for which it won't unless. What these schools need is for the Almighty to do one of their surprised visits in these schools and even the international ones to see how the future value and treat education..

It's going to be a colour experience. Best of luck.

3. Leon_8

Leon_8 New commenter

Hi. I can answer most of your your questions from current first-hand experience.

Managing classes is very tough. Students generally don't listen to teachers, whether they are native Arabic, English or other. Arabic speaking teachers have a slight advantage of
    course.
    There is very little motivation to learn. Firstly, Emirati boys will leave school at some point (believe it or not, there are some in their early 20s in my school who have repeated several grades!) and earn 3 times as much as you in the army or a cushy desk job that's been given through family connections. Secondly, cheating is rife and exams really count for very little.
    The Emiratis you will encounter in schools are placed in senior management and administration. The majority of the teachers are from other Arabic speaking countries, chiefly Jordan, Egypt and Syria. I have nothing but positive things to say about them and how they have treated me. However, I am a white European although I do work with some Indian teachers and they tell me they have no problem with other staff members but do have some problems with racism from the kids. Indians make up the largest ethnic group in the UAE by far so outside school you won't have any problems and you are highly unlikely to mix socially with Emiratis. They tend to keep to themselves.
    The salary difference reflects unqualified vs. qualified teachers (i.e those who have a PGCE or similar internationally recognised teaching qualification). It's not based on ethnicity.
    If you go not expecting to get much 'teaching' done and see it as an opportunity to earn a reasonable salary or whatever else, go with the flow and are a resilient person, then you'll be fine. Hours are good and it's fairly laid-back. Just don't do it for career progression or any other lofty educational ideals you may have!

4. anthonyfitzpatrick

anthonyfitzpatrick New commenter

Hi, hope somebody can help. Have been through the application/test/interview/providing relevant information references/degree certificates/photos/enhanced crb checks. Was told to expect to go to UAE and work in an MOE school by August of this year. That said still waiting on final offer(having received my initial contract offer in May). Due to contract arrangements in my current place of work (an independent school), have had to give 2 months notice which means I finished Friday last and am paid until the end of August/beginning of September. With a family and mortgage I am slightly nervous about the final stages, Can anybody offer me reassurance.advice, the agency assure me that everything will be ok. Hoping to speak to a person who has been through this process and is now working in the UAE. Hope to hear from you soon.

5. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 New commenter

Why would you want to give up a cushy gig in an independent school (and independent salary scale) and go and work for the MOE? Just wondering why the MOE school would be better.

6. anthonyfitzpatrick

7. anthonyfitzpatrick

Various reasons. If you can't help with the request then you need not reply. Regards!

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If I were you I would do anything I could to stay in my current school and start applying to real international schools next academic year. You're a qualified teacher with experience. The only people taking MOE jobs are those who aren't at a stage yet where a real international school would employ them

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. nydah_c

nydah_c New commenter

Hello I applied back in May from the US and still in the process of turning my documents. I haven't signed any contract although they did send me a declaration to sign saying I have read and agree to the contract. Haven't signed that yet. My mobilization date is 18th August. I want to know what to expect when I land. I understand there is a training first few days but what I see here is that final contract takes ages. Do we still start work? When we start getting paid? What is the training like? I am so clueless and scared.

10. amit1231

amit1231 New commenter

Me too gave 18th aug as joining date options, but agency says they will provide visa and tkt on 17th aug only. I don't know how dies it work. Has anybody joined in jul19? Please share your experiences and relieve us with our worries.

11. Fiona8318

Fiona8318 New commenter

Hi all, can you please help a fellow teacher? I have applied directly though the portal and have been screened in, as per my email. However, it says to go to pending documents and fill in the information, but when I do this and enter the city for interview and submission number, it says no data.

Has anyone else applied directly and experienced this? I have replied to the email, but have received no response. Thanks in advance!