1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts with the Ministry of Education Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cams96, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hi guys! Looking for some advice, applied and received an initial offer to work for the Ministry of Education in Dubai. I was intended to start on the 3rd of September but the Ministry has 'a lot of delays' and I'm not sure when I will receive this contract. My agency has said that there are lots of people in the same boat! Not giving me much hope!! Is anyone in the same position waiting for a contract? Also anyone working with the Ministry know how long it takes to get a contract as thinking of looking for other jobs elsewhere. Thanks

anisah_sharif likes this.
  2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't understand how this could happen. If they had a timetable and classes for you to teach then who is teaching them now while they wait to sort out your contract. If there are 'lots of people in the same boat' does that mean that there are lots of empty classrooms in Dubai waiting for teachers. It doesn't seem to add up

3. Thank you! My agency said that the 'pre-employment check' is causing the greatest delay, but I don't know who is teaching my classes. Was wondering if anybody had experience of going through the Ministry of Education in Dubai. I'm at my ends wit because I want to be working and earning and now I'm thinking of looking for other jobs in Business overseas

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It can't hurt to look for other jobs. Something might come up in the meantime. You can't wait forever

5. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

To be honest Cams96, it may be a blessing in disguise... Working for a ministry school in the Emirates does not seem to be a bed of roses... With this delay nobody could blame you for applying elsewhere - in fact, it is the prudent thing to do!

jimbostories69 likes this.
  6. Thanks appreciate the advice! It's back to the drawing board!

7. sjwigglesworth

sjwigglesworth New commenter

Hi, I too was provided with my initial contract with MOE in Dubai in July & the agency I'm working with said I would be starting 15/16 September. I'm delayed & my initial thoughts are why if we have classes to teach and go to.

Thanks

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Lucky escape - bargepole (long) required

9. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Wouldn't work for a government school here in the UAE. Don't do it! ADEC, Abu Dhabi's Education Council, fired over 200 teachers this summer as they didn't meet the grade. I'm worried what that grade is because their schools are simply awful. KHDA schools in Dubai will be exactly the same. Full of children who aren't interested in education, unsupportive parents and incompetent school management.

10. sjwigglesworth

sjwigglesworth New commenter

Thanks. I'm just wondering whether the MOE's expansion (hiring a few hundred new teachers) in Dubai / Northern Emirates for 2016/17 means a lot of new schools that don't start until October with as mentioned potentially no students yet ? Is this usual? I have also heard there is a teacher training drive in house, so guess in a year they may just end your expat contract in favour of local Emirati teachers ?!

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I honestly can not think of a place i would want to work less !!!!

Oh wait.... the UK

Or Spain again o_O

12. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

13. mearnsy

mearnsy New commenter

I my experience working with Arabian cultures and countries, delays are virtually standard. That said I'm at the beginnings of the interview process with both the MOE and IAT. I would really value any considered comments about working in the UAE. I've done the whole pro's and con's thing, I'm experienced, can speak conversational Arabic, but 'm still undecided. TIA, Al.

14. peakdj

peakdj New commenter

Don't just consider looking for jobs elsewhere...try to make sure you get one. With very few exceptions I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy to have to work in a Ministry school in any of the gulf countries. Admittedly, I don't have direct experience of UAE/Dubai but I have experience of this elsewhere in the GCC. The ministry schools are pretty similar in these countries and the kids have mostly the same issues across the GCC - being majority very spoilt and lazy.

Bear in mind that you may also have to undo the years of rubbish teaching/learning that has gone before as these schools aren't usually high on the "must go there" list of many quality teachers.

Sure, if you are totally desperate, just interested in the money and don't think you'd get a job anywhere else then go ahead. But be warned - these are not fun places to work. Kuwaiti, Emirati and Qatari students in this type of school can make many British kids appear to have an outstanding work ethic. And that's not to mention the management and Ministry people dictating policy. Obviously, a small handful of the kids want to get on, so just pray you get this minority in your classes. Generally though, if you want to actually teach find a decent international school (even some of the lower quality ones would still be better than the government schools).

As for replacing foreign teachers with locals, I personally believe that this is wishful thinking - at least for a good few years. Emiratis - working in government schools as teachers!?!? Just getting out of bed in the morning is considered work for many of these people, and they wouldn't do anything for less than a few grand a week, so no chance. What's more likely is that you'd be replaced with Philippino or Indian teachers if/when the economy slows down and the cash starts to dry up.

Having said all of the above, I hope your school will be the exception, and that if you do head out there you have a blast. Sorry for the negativity here, as I'm aware you may have been excited about the new job. Wouldn't be right not to warn you though!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    jimbostories69 likes this.
  15. noorulainkhan

noorulainkhan New commenter

Hello,

I have been waiting 12 weeks for this pre-employment check and after reading the comments on TES and other various expat forums about the UAE government schools, I am now not so sure that I would like to go!

16. C25

C25 New commenter

Hello, I am in a similar position. I am still in pre employment checks for what was meant to be a Jan start, its been 8 weeks since I sent the initial contract back to MOE. Did anyone get any further in their situations? Thanks

17. EasleyVG

EasleyVG New commenter

Hi Stephanie, I am going through the same. All I was told on Monday is that they are expecting the contracts shortly.

18. EasleyVG

EasleyVG New commenter

I expected to leave January too. This has put me in a tough situation because there are only 5 more months of school left. No one can tell me when I will be able to start.

19. C25

C25 New commenter

Which agency are you with? Ive been told nothing at all, only just been told I need to get my documents attested so im in the process of doing that now! How long have you been in pre employment checks for?

20. EasleyVG

EasleyVG New commenter

I have been in the process since 11/15. I have looked at other forums and many people said they had to wait too. People went over at all different times and months. I've been told they bring people over on a rolling basis. It is unnerving though because you cant predict and plan.