1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts for next year and the Virus - are they worth the paper they're written on?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Luvsskiing, Mar 9, 2020.

1. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Good common sense from radian43 and some others. Sloppy thinking from many!

2. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

If you have money, yes.

Helen-Back likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

and if you are a member of the royal family, definitely!

4. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

Like some others, I have been receiving unsolicited offers to interview at quite good schools in China and other places in Asia. I never had this in previous years.

In addition, though, schools with whom I had actually interviewed (NOT Asia) are being rather aggressive in following up: there seems to be a desperation now. This is not what I would expect from schools who are uncertain that there will be jobs in August.

This might very well be the year that some of those dream jobs appear very late in the season for many people. I do not think schools will be closed past August, and I believe the majority of schools in Europe will be OK.

5. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Am I the only black-hearted person who smiled when the news about Charlie broke?

[​IMG]

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Where I am - yes. Because the world is going down and where I am is beginning to come out the other side. They'll want to continue that curve.

7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I do know a thing or two about decent schools in China. Did 12 years there a while back.

8. grdwdgrrrl

I most certainly will not be returning to the land of Trump. Too many guns and stupid people that own them. Prefer to stay where I am. Besides, we're a mixed up family. Kids born in different places, parents from different places.
    Someone yelled at my child for cutting the queue (she was just trying to look at the menu) then told us to go back where we came from. So funny!

9. baller4life

baller4life New commenter

10. grdwdgrrrl

I’m wondering about being paid through this academic year. Our head said that at least we’ll get our March salary. What does “at least” imply?

11. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Schools who don't have a lot of capital are going to struggle. I know in my school (and I'm sure many around the world) lots of parents are asking why they are paying full price for a few Teams lessons a week

12. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

International education will change forever.
    Even schools with a sound business model will not survive if there are fewer, or in some cases no, students able to attend.
    Companies are likely to rethink family packages, and visa and health insurance restrictions may prevent some businesses operating at all.

13. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

That is particularly worrying, seeing as you are at one of the better schools!

I am moving at the end of this year. It looks like the chain leading to the new position is fairly stable - PYP coordinator leaving to newly created role in the same city, leaving opening. So fingers crossed it all works out.

I think other posters are right - we may well see a lot of last minute offerings at good schools. I know of one school currently advertising for the 3rd or 4th time, not because they don't like previous candidates, but simply because they haven't got round to dealing with recruitment whilst trying to deal with lockdown etc.

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The trade relationship between China and the Western world will change after the virus has dissipated.

The cost of a barrel of brent oil for April is now under 20USD.

No job security for any international teacher in the ME or China.

15. makhnovite

Three rather bald statements febster and I am sure there is a kernel of truth in all of them but then that is the nature of bald statements.

My particular issue is with this one: 'The cost of a barrel of brent oil for April is now under 20USD.'
    The low cost of oil is:
    i) not new, it has reached similar low levels on at least four or five occasions in the last 20 years
    ii) It is not just caused by a lack of demand but largely by over supply by the Saudi's and the Russians.
    iii) The low price of oil is not always an indicator of much except the low cost of oil
    iv) The low price of oil can be a benefit for consumers and those who buy oil.

Just a very simple analysis:
    'The oil importing economies like EU, Japan, China or India would benefit, however the oil producing countries would lose. A Bloomberg article presents results of an analysis by Oxford Economics on the GDP growth of countries as a result of a drop from $84 to $40. It shows the GDP increase between 0.5% to 1.0% for India, USA and China, and a decline of greater than 3.5% from Saudi Arabia and Russia.'

Obviously this is a very general analysis and not specific to the current crisis. No one knows what will happen after the crisis is over as nothing like it has happened in recent times before (I discount the 1918 pandemic as the world was very different then). But it is important not to speculate too much and to read too much into the current crisis.

Helen-Back likes this.
  16. makhnovite

17. BlueHues

BlueHues New commenter

18. BlueHues

BlueHues New commenter

One of the better schools whose owner spent a lot of money on a new campus and has very tight margins.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  19. desertphantom

desertphantom New commenter

Finding myself agreeing with gafleecey on most of these points, I think one of the most revealing aspects of the pandemic has been how difficult it is for people to get their heads around the magnitude of the situation. Borders shutting, airports closing, social isolation, oil prices crashing and the entire global economy contracting, not really surprising though as none of us have lived through anything on this scale. Have been even more surprised by the apparent willingness of my colleagues to become stranded indefinitely far away from their families and working for a school with questionable foundations and a parent-body who are already talking about fees. Time will tell how this all pans out but I am preparing myself for the worst regarding the job I had signed for next year, as gafellecey says it will be a question of sitting this out as comfortably and healthily as possible and seeing where everything falls once the world has got a grip which probably won't be until there's a readily available vaccine. Perhaps the good thing is that we will may lose many of the questionable 'imternational' schools out there which will be better for teachers and students in the long-run. Also agree with other posters re contracts which especially in the ME seem to be meaningless and which serve to put teachers who are making life-changing decisions on the basis of these contracts in very precarious positions (something which was a problem even before this situation). To be honest it does make me question my choice of career as the lack of any kind of centralisation or union places us all in a difficult position, while moving jobs has an element of lottery as shown by the reems of terrible reviews found on ***, I don't think other industries with similarly well-qualified employees would be able to get away with some of the breaches of 'contract' that you hear about in teaching. Perhaps there's a future in loo roll distribution or producing hand sanitisers!

Duraz likes this.