1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts for next year and the Virus - are they worth the paper they're written on?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Luvsskiing, Mar 9, 2020.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Nothing about any international school making staff redundant in Shanghai has hit any of my wechat groups as of yet. No school wants to p ! $$off staff before schools reopen in the next few weeks.

Not saying some teachers are not going to get bad news, but not at this particular moment in time. First teachers to get the "sorry to inform you" email would be the newly recruited staff for next year before any existing members gets the chop.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    TeacherMan19 likes this.
  2. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

I did wonder what the opposite position would be. If you accept a position and then you can't actually get on the plane to leave due to travel restrictions or just if you changed your mind.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It annoys us greatly but there’s little we can actually do.
    In the current exigent situation, we’re all going to be facing new challenges with travel and visas. Let’s all do our best to find solutions and be understanding.

snowflakesfalling likes this.
  4. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

It'll be much easier for schools to tell everybody that everything is OK and that it is business as usual and then start withdrawing employment offers closer to the start of the next academic year because that is the easiest and most convenient way of doing things. They wouldn't want a huge influx of resignations now and have to go through the recruitment process again at this time of year.

5. BlueHues

BlueHues New commenter

@Jason_Bourne_ some schools aren’t offering contracts and have gone deathly silent post interview. I’d be inclined to sign nothing and stay put - whether you’re in the U.K or elsewhere, we are even tempted to go home and wait this out for a while. Mind you that’s the comfort of savings, not the same for all. Many of my colleagues are very nervous right now.

6. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

International schools will be offering contracts for August being completely blind to their needs, and will then be withdrawing the ones from teachers they don't need at the last moment, as described by others.

To get round this, I think schools need to show good faith and pay people two months salary when a contract is signed but before they resign from their safe UK (or elsewhere) job. If the contract is cancelled by the school at the last moment, at least the teacher will have a stop-gap for a few months. This could be underwritten or loaned by the school's Government, if it is keen on helping their private school industry.

No one in their right mind is going to accept an international job for this coming academic year and give up their current one, unless you are actually unemployed already.

7. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

im the idiot that did this! Handed my noticed in and leaving my schoo May half term so I can start in Dubai in August. Wanted to leave early so I could go travelling...to China would you believe.
    So if my contract is withdrawn last minute I’m unemployed. Nightmare! Very stressful times

8. gulfgolf

And who will be vouchsafing that the teacher will show up and not pocket that money from multiple schools? We all work on faith in this business. It’s great that you have opinions, keep working on that.
    Some people spend five minutes at something and think they’re an expert.

Jason_Bourne_ likes this.
  9. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Nice idea but never going to happen... Which school in their right mind will give a new teacher two months salary upfront before the teacher has even started working there? What legal protection would the school have?

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  10. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

You need to open your windows and allow fresh air in your head.

The negative impact of being isolated continues to roll off your keyboard.

11. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

There's going to be a massive problem accepting contracts this year. That's obvious. I have a solution. You don't like it. Fair enough. Your solution is to moan like hell at other people's ideas and suggest we all carry on as normal because you don't want anything to be different to before. You're not bright enough to come up with a proposal, or are you ......

Moaning, wailing is much easy. You're not Jeremy Corbyn are you?

12. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@Luvsskiing go and pitch your suggestion to all the schools... Pay somebody who has never set foot in the school carpark.. 2 months salary in advance..

Pitch this to businesses who will most likely lose fee paying students.

Your suggestion is as spot on as your other thread falsely accussing a country blaming Covid-19 on expats.

gulfgolf and dumbbells66 like this.
  13. gulfgolf

It’s cute that you think we’re the ones doing the moaning.

14. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Hold out a little bit longer. We don't know anything yet for definite.
    China will be great for travelling. Easier to do now once you're in, its quarantine to get in at the moment but we can see how long that's in place. There's still time.

15. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

No time to hold on. I’m leaving May with no choice.

just got to hope I can still go to Dubai in August.

16. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Go somewhere safe and stay there.
    It is not safe in many places. It is not going to be safe.
    Once lockkdowns end, the virus will spike again because it is new, and we have no immunity to it until there is an effective, safe vaccine, which is at least a year away.

suem75 likes this.
  17. synetos

synetos New commenter

Not a frequent occurance? You are kidding right? My God I can't recall a single year where I havnt seen posts on here of withdrawn contracts at the last minute.

18. gulfgolf

Or rumors that it could happen. There is far more fear-mongering about this then there are actual occurrences. No, it’s not common. It’s truly devastating when it happens, but severity is not the same thing as frequency.

19. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I’m getting offers right left and centre just from schools viewing my profile on TES and LinkedIn. For China mostly and from the decent schools. So, many somebodies are running scared.

20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you think of the 10s of thousands of contracts handed out and the numbers withdraw it is a rather small number, but devastating to those involved.

I am averaging about 3 job offers a day at the moment for jobs in China. But even if the rent-a-name sounds decent you may find its for the Bilingual school desperate for staff, the international schools have stop all recruitment in China at the moment.