1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts and leaving teaching

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MartynE23, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MartynE23

MartynE23 New commenter

Like many, I have been agonising for a while however have succumbed to the realisation that teaching is not for me.

I have responsibilities within the school and can mentally hack it out until the end of the year however I was wondering if anyone could advise on what happens over the summer......

ie. If I hand in my notice on time etc to finish in my position on 31st August, am I contractually not allowed to start another job until after that date?

Or am I free to start a new position any time during the summer?

I've searched but doesn't seem to be any info on this. Thanks!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No problem if it is outside of teaching.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

.As long as you declare it as taxable income, you can do any job during your paid holidays, and thus be paid twice for a few weeks.

It could be a teaching post, actually @wanet, if it were to be a temporary post, but not if you began a new post in a school on, say, 27 August that was to continue through into September. So you could teach English to EU students in a TeachEnglish summer school and keep all the money.

Except for the taxes!

Best wishes

sabrinakat likes this.