1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contracts and hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Slave1138, May 20, 2017.

?

Does your job make you question the existential horror of progress?

1. Yes, something's not right

2. No, I have martyred my soul 'for the children'

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Slave1138

Slave1138 New commenter

Can anyone explain to me the history behind teachers' contracts?

You know, regarding unpaid overtime, etc...

I'm working 7 'til nearly midnight, with ten minutes lunch and an hour or so to make and eat my evening meal. Of course, I work Sundays too. So, this got me wondering, when did it all start?

dunnocks likes this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Teachers don't have set hours, so the question of overtime does not arise. However, the hours you work are crazy. Either your school is demanding too much, in which case you need to get your union(s) involved, or you need to find ways of cutting back. By the way, not all teachers work like this - some schools have more enlightened policies - but it does seem that more are heading this way.

dunnocks likes this.
  3. Ryan91

Ryan91 New commenter

When too many say "yes" and not "no"

dunnocks likes this.
  4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

1265 hours a year directed time. I try not to go over it too much. I inevitably do but trying not to go over that number keeps me sane.

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

1265 hours are directed time. It was always expected that teachers work reasonable additional hours to fulfil their duties. The difference is in what is reasonable. Some of the hours quoted on here are clearly not. In my experience teachers have always worked a couple of hours on weekday evenings and 3or 4 hours at some point over the weekend. At times like report writing this increases. Workload is the biggest issue still to be fully addressed in teacher retention. Teachers are people with lives, families and other interests, too. They are better at their jobs when they are not worn down and exhausted.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

@Slave1138

don't do it.

That's no life

I know what happens, you get suckered in, and find yourself holding YOURSELF responsible for the lifelong future health wealth and welfare of your students, and somehow convinced that you will be condeming them to a life of failure if you let any of them down......

but what you lose sight of, in that state, is that you ARE letting them down in every possible way, by letting your self be abused like this.

Your are stopping them developing any sort of independence or responsibility.

You are encouraging them to develop bullying behaviour in accepting the way students are allowed to treat teachers in such a regime.

You are robbing them of their right to an education system staffed by lively, enthusiastic AWAKE teachers, by colluding with those who are trying to prop up a ridiculous, meaningless brutal, teacher eating system on a shoe string.

And you are a terrible role model of what they should accept for themselves in life.

You are being abused, get out.

I am looking forward to the day the education system is sued for damages by hundreds and thousands of damaged teachers

7. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Think of 9 to 5. Most teachers get in before 8. So 8 to 4. Ok so we are professionals so maybe a bit extra as and when but there is no way we should be working the ridiculous hours we do. And as for the holidays. Yes 13 weeks. But we only get one bank holiday extra .All the others are within that 13 weeks. I know we are lucky with the holidays but there are other downsides. Expensive holidays and no chance of taking time off to suit for your child's play etc. But the hours...the marking...the meetings...and the constant monitoring which other professionals do not have.