1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract was not renewed, when will I be paid until?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jason_ta_meyers, Apr 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jason_ta_meyers

jason_ta_meyers New commenter

Hi TES forum.

I'm an NQT, my employer took me on under a year long contract through an agency. The school has decided not to employ me next year, as you can imagine this has thrown a lot of uncertainty into my situation.

What I'd like to ask is: when will I be paid until under my contract? Will I be paid until August or will I stop being paid in June when the summer holidays start?

This is important as I will need to find income over the summer holidays if I am not paid until August.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What does your contract say?
    Could be either of the dates you give.

Oneshot likes this.
  3. jason_ta_meyers

jason_ta_meyers New commenter

Contract says temporary to 31st of August.

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If it's a mat leave it would say a date or until the return of postholder. If it's a Fixed Term contract to 31st August, you will be paid to 31st August.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Sounds pretty straight-forward, that's the date you get paid to. Check to see if there are any other terms in the contract with regard to early termination but it doesn't sound as though they are looking to do that. It is 'normal' for contracts to end on 31 August and schools are used to paying the final part of your salary in August when on holiday so I don't think you need worry about not getting the last months pay. You have an annual contract and an annual salary, it's just paid in 12 instalments so there is no reason for them not to pay the last month.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

August was my final payment on my last 12 month temporary contract, for which I had chosen not to seek renewal. You'll have done your full year's contracted work by the end of July, it's just that the payments for it are spread across the whole year.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As long as there is no provision in the contract for you to be given shorter than normal notice, then 31 August it is. But you would need to see what your contract says about notice periods.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You will (or should) be paid until the final date as stipulated on your contract.

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Your summer holidays start in June? I want to work in your school!

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm in an independent and we still go in to July.
    OP could be in Scotland though.