1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract vs supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Rapidstar81, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Rapidstar81

Rapidstar81 New commenter

Good Evening
    I wondered if anyone could give any insight as to my dilemma?

II have been employed on a Maternity cover contract for the last 2 months in a school ( there is no opportunity to extend this)
    I have been approached by my Supply agency (who I have previously worked for) to work for them next month at a school I would very much like to work in , in the future.
    This second school has a job opportunity coming up in Sep, and I am keen to apply for this.

My dilemma is, should terminate my maternity contract (will this be professionally unwise?! )
    and pick up the supply
    Finacially, this works out as same rate, as I am NOT being paid to scale on my maternity contract...)
    However, my teachers pension payments will suffer for a month.
    i am aware I may risk losing out on the post in the second school if I do not take up the Supply work.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    any ways around this?
    Thanks in advance

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Assuming that you’re currently with the school on a contract then you’re tied into the standard notice period which means you can’t leave until Aug 31st. You should check this with HR. Also jumping into another frying pan (with similarly coloured grass) is risky considering that agencies and schools are disloyal to supply teachers.

So for the security of a contract through the Summer term I’d stay put. If you’re good enough then Halcyon High will wait for you

Rapidstar81 and les25paul like this.
  3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

There is no guarantee that working on supply at a school through an agency will give you an advantage when it comes to securing a contracted post there.

In fact it might even go against you because the agency might demand (a very high) finder's fee from the school should they offer you a job,

You will not lose out on any chance of a post in the second school if you see your current contract to the end, you will still be free to apply with the other candidates and stand just as good a chance of success.

4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

On a maternity contract it is rare to get a contract that runs to Aug 31st as schools don't want to pay fir the holidays. Most maternity contracts only have a notice period of a month. I guess it depends on how much longer your contract is and how thw schools, both of them will react to you leaving the contract before it ends. The finder fee can be a real stumbling block in getting a permanent job. Personally I would tell the school that you're in a contract at the moment and don't want to be unprofessional but that you're very interested in the permanent job and will apply then.

install, Rapidstar81 and les25paul like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'! Beware of seemingly tantalising job offers from agencies, especially ones that have a staring date some time ahead. It would be in the interest of the agency 'sex up' the job it is dangling in front of you. What you are told is a long-term position might only be for a few days, or weeks. As a rule of thumb, disbelieve anything an agency tells you.

6. Rapidstar81

ear all
    Sorry!

I think I was unclear.

The MC ends at May 1/2 term- 24th May
    The Supply work starts 24th April and ends on 24th May

Money is the same- but professionally would it be a very bad idea?

The F/T post at the Supply school doesn't start till Sep and has been advertised nationally.

Therefore, I was wondering whether the Supply may keep me on untiL July.... but they have not come back to me on that yet.
    Trying to secure work, and trying to think long term (fFinances:()

Thank you again all
    RStar

7. Rapidstar81

Hi there
    The contract with the Mat Cover is only until 24th May (same as the Supply job)
    You are right, the 'Finders Fee' could well be a problem, so perhaps just holding out (with no job after 24th May when MC ends is the way to go.....
    I know that the school uses a lot of supply teachers- the Supply Agency are making me feel very 'special' about sourcing me this role........
    ;) So now I feel bad about turning their offer of work down :confused:

Any thoughts?!:cool:

8. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Stay in your maternity contract so you can get a good reference. Inform agency that you are unable to do the supply as you're currently in a contract. Apply for the job when it's advertised. Don't do any supply with any agency at that school or they will charge the school a finder's fee.

Rapidstar81, les25paul and install like this.
  9. Rapidstar81

Thank you for all your help and wise words.
    I have stayed to complete the maternity... and guess what.
    The 'dream supply job' turned out to only be two days per week after agency phoned me on Friday.
    Beware supply offers!
    Thank you again

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Rapidstar81

it didn't exist!
    2 days per week
    thank you for wise words x

agathamorse likes this.