1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by chriszwinter1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I think you have a right to ask. The fact that the governors didn't know speaks volumes about the school. Had you been appointed, it should have been on the terms and conditions in force at the time of the interview as stated in the job advert and other documents relating to the post. The school isn't an academy yet and with governors that clueless you are probably better off not going there.

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I felt I had every right to ask too - and the fact that this has counted against me, well ... Where else would you be expected to verbally accept a job without knowing terms?
    Thankyou for making me feel less pushy.
    I AM glad I didnt get offered the post, yes!

3. It sounds like a very silly reaction to an obvious question. If you accepted the job, subject to terms and conditions, and later declined it because something unexpected came to light would they be happier? Surely they realise that Academies may not have the same terms and conditions as an LEA school and that clarification is needed?
    Surely a lucky escape if they're unwilling to be clear and open with you when they're trying to impress.

4. If it's viewed as a bad question to ask, then the school(s) in question clearly has(have) a problem.
    All employers that I've approached with regard to the exact nature and hours of the job that I'm supposed to do both before or during interview have happily answered my questions.
    In fact, I get the feeling that they've been pleased to be asked, as I'm showing interest and initiative. As you say, how stupid to apply for and verbally accept a job without being clear what it is that you're letting yourself in for!
    Take no notice of this feedback and keep asking away! I've found that it's a good way of sussing out if you REALLY want the job that you're applying for. A response like that described in your previous post would raise questions in my mind (or red flags as estate agents would say) about whether I really want to work for the employer in question (if the school or college is like that with you now, what on earth would it be like to work there?!).
    Hope you find a job that suits you very soon! ;-)

5. I was in agreement with the other posters on here, until I had a lightbulb moment - am I right in thinking that you asked about terms and conditions in the actual interview, before being asked the "are you still a firm candidate?" question. If the answer is yes, then I think you may have upset the panel, as in my experience they almost always perceive this negatively, money grabbing etc. The time to ask these questions and discuss T&C is either before as part of your information gathering or when they offer you the post, before you accept, as by then they will have a clear idea of what they can offer. Yes you can argue that they should have thought this out earlier, I agree, but they could not be offering a post without having some idea of T&C. If however, they were formally offering you the post and then retracted it because you asked about terms and conditions, then run away!

6. seagirl: am I right in thinking that you asked about terms and conditions in the actual interview, before being asked the "are you still a firm candidate?" question.
    OP: I sought clarification on terms of employment <u>before</u> being asked the "would you accept the job" question.
    seagirl: The time to ask these questions and discuss T&C is either before as part of your information gathering or when they offer you the post, before you accept, as by then they will have a clear idea of what they can offer.
    OP: I had previously tried to ascertain this information from Governors <u>prior to interview</u> - <u>but with no success.</u>

I therefore stand by the arguments given in my previous post.

7. seagirl: am I right in thinking that you asked about terms and conditions in the actual interview, before being asked the "are you still a firm candidate?" question.If the answer is yes, then I think you may have upset the panel, as in my experience they almost always perceive this negatively, money grabbing etc.
    If the OP had asked AFTER being asked if he/she accepted the post, THEN the panel is quite right to view her as money grabbing etc because the OP is then messing them about?
    However, if the OP was asking for basic clarification about how the school's conversion to an academy will affect his/her role if appointed BEFORE confirming his/her interest in going for the job, then I think the Panel has no right to complain about something that should have been made clear in either the job advert on in the application documents.
    On the other hand, I do agree that if the OP asked something along the lines of pay during interview unless asked by the Panel, then yes, the Panel was right to take a dim view of this as it's just not the done thing.

8. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Thanks for all your thoughts. To clarify, it wasn't about salary - so not money led AT ALL - but purely about terms and conditions.
    I think that the potential implications of Academy Conversion should be fully realised before deciding to go down that route. If they "want to run this school as a business" then they need to wise up to people wanting to know what their T&C are.