1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

contract pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by newmummy1, Aug 26, 2020.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hello
    I am starting at a new school on a maternity contract. The role was advertised as main scale and I have accepted m6, although I was previously UPS2. I queried this before the interview and school were very clear that was all they could afford so I was fully aware.

The contract will run for 15 months, so into next academic year. My question is, would I be able to progress back onto the UPS next year if I meet requirements, or will I have to stay on M6 because that was the fixed term contract I accepted?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is it possible to go from M6 to UPS1 for the last 3 months of your contract? Yes, nothing in STPCD or regulations says you can't. As your contract is more than 12 moths then you should get a pay review after 12 months same as all other teachers.

Is that likely to happen? Impossible to say without knowing the school. Why not ask the head/line manager/HR as soon as you start what you need to do to be considered for a move to UPS in September 2021? As it's likely to depend on you achieving targets over the whole of 2020-21 you need to know as soon as you start what those targets are so that you can start accumulating evidence that you are achieving them. No good waiting until next July to ask!

strawbs likes this.
  3. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

That's great. Thank you. I will make it clear in my p.m. meeting which should be in the next month.

4. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

I just checked with HR and was told that as the role was advertised as M6 there will not be an automatic progression. Not sure what to make of that really. I know progression isn't automatic for anyone but I want to be considered.

5. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

A discussion with your Union might be a good idea not the school rep.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

According to gov.uk, you cannot be discriminated against because of being on a fixed term contract. My interpretation, and I don't pretend to be an expert, is that you should be treated as if you were starting a permanent role at M6. If the school policy is that somebody on M6 who achieves their PM target gets automatic transfer to the UPR, then so should you, or if they have to apply, you should be able to. I would clarify with the school whether you are going to be treated differently and, if so, consult your union as advised above.

See https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/employees-rights