1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

contract overap U / abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jamieandphie, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:00 PM.

1. jamieandphie

jamieandphie New commenter

Hello all,

if one was to be offered a contract abroad starting 1st August, but has a job in the UK, which would normally end on 31st August - are there any issues with this?

Is it possible to give notice to leave 1st July or thi entirely the school (Academies) discretion?

many thanks

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I don’t know how much we can help you, mate. You need to check your contract and talk to your employer.

3. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Give your usual notice as required by UK schools (May?)

You'll get pay from them until end of August ie as if you were joining a UK school.

You're UK holiday would start before new job.

It'll be a short turnaround and no holiday for you.

Have done this myself.

4. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Agree with @byto, there's no issue.

Hand in normal notice (job ending in UK August 31st) and start new job.

Turnaround will be horrifically tight. But manageable.

I mean, think about it. If you remained in the UK and moved to another part of the country, it wouldn't be a problem. You wouldn't have overlapping pay, but as you're abroad, they won't know or care.

5. markedout

markedout New commenter

I did the same last year, was paid until 31 Aug and started new job on 26 Aug. It doesn't make any difference, although I did get a very nice tax rebate a few months later.

6. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

When I left the UK, many years ago, my new contract started on Aug 1st and the old one expired on August 31st or thereabouts.

I actually didn't even think about it at the time and it was a nice surprise. Thinking about it now I wonder if I should have done something different, or maybe it was a nice wee bonus and sometimes these things balance out when contracts don't align or there are gaps.

rouxx likes this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Same with me @SecondPlace . It has only just now occurred to me 17 years later. I guess it’s too late to worry about it now!

8. knocker

knocker New commenter

Yes. Don't worry about it and enjoy the double pay packet in August!

I'm guessing you won't be leaving to go overseas until after 1st August anyway. Like others had mentioned if you'd been moving in the UK would you be expected to be in school in August?

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Why should there be a problem? If the OP is leaving the UK in the summer holidays, then it really does not make any difference. Yes, you are being paid until 31st August, so technically you are still employed in the UK, but what will happen if you start teaching overseas before 31st? I do not think that someone is going to jump onto a plane, fly off to Africa or SE Asia or wherever and then coming rushing into your lesson, shouting, "Stop! Stop! You are under contract in the UK until 31st!"

10. 576

576 Established commenter

Some schools though do start in August. I know someone who missed part of the induction week because they had to go into their UK school for the start of term in order to receive their August pay from that school before beginning their overseas position.

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sorry about my silly initial answer. I missed the plot on the real nature of the query. I’m glad others were paying better attention.