1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract issue

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by sciencequeen00, Sep 26, 2017.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

I returned to work in July 2017 after maternity leave for the end of summer term- A total of 3 days, I returned on my old contract. I then went part time from September 2017- 2.5 day (0.5). Over the summer I was paid on my old full time contract, the school are now telling me I have been overpaid as I started my part time hours when I returned in July???!!! I was under the impression I went back on my old contract, I also haven't signed a new contract for this year- where do I stand? I feel that this is very unfair as I returned on my old contract..

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

What do you have in writing about your request to go part-time? If your request said "with effect from September 2017" and they haven't done anything to refute that, then I think you're safe. If the start-date for the change of contract was never mentioned at any point, then there's probably nothing to stop them assuming that it was to be from the start of the summer holidays rather than the start of September, although you could argue that as they paid you that suggests that they were not putting the change through until September.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

It's as frustrum says. The precise wording of your written request to go P/T and their written agreement is key to this. If you said from 1st September and they either specifically stated 1st September, or just said they agreed to your request, then it's 1st September.

Otherwise let us know what the letters said.