1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Help

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by estheexd1, Jul 17, 2020.

1. estheexd1

estheexd1 New commenter

So I managed to secure a job as a TA in an primary academy yay me
    But im just re reading through my contract and im lil bit confused

so its says that im contracted on a permanent basis and will be working 37.5 hours 45.4 weeks so does that mean im working term time only cause I assumed permanent all year is working 52 weeks

And im given 25 days holiday entitlement so would that mean I wont receive pay for the 2 weeks out of 7 that I wouldn’t be working ?

what does ‘this entitlement accures at a rate of 2.08 days per completed month” in regards to holiday even mean ?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Permanent just means it is not fixed term, i.e. your contract won't end after X months, so is ongoing. . The way I interpret what you have written is you are employed on work on a term time only contract.Sep to July.

Schools are open 39 weeks of the year so that leaves 6.4 weeks (or 32 days) to account for. If you assume 25 days are when you have to take as holiday which coincides with the school holidays then that leaves .7 days. This would match with the number of bank holidays between September and July. 52-45.4 = 6.6 or 6 weeks three days which is the length (on average) of the summer holidays.which you are not being paid for. So they are probably going to pay you 87.3% of what the annual salary is posted as, but split this into 12 monthly payments.

You holiday entitlement accrual is in case you leave midway through a year. Depending on how much holiday you have (had) to take and how much you have accrued will determine if either party owes anything to the other.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. estheexd1

estheexd1 New commenter

Thank you so much, they did put down my pro rata salary which obviously makes up the 87% of the annual salary but im just slightly confused (ahh my brains being braindead today lol) when you mean I wouldn’t be paid during the summer holidays but then they split my pro rata salary in too 12 months so would be a paid something during august or would I use my holiday pay during the summer holidays

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

You will be paid in 12 equal monthly payments. You will be paid over the summer exactly the same as the rest of the year.

Try not to worry. You will be paid every month the same amount.

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

They can't pay you holiday pay for times you are not employed to be there.

They are paying you to work during the schools terms, and expect you to be there then. They have to give you annual leave, and are directing you when you have to take it (e.g out of school term time although this should be specified in the contract). You are employed by them over the whole year, but for about 6 weeks of the year they will not need your service so you will not be paid for it. Rather than have it so you your salary changes from month to month (e.g. no salary for August), they will just split it into 12 equal parts. You do not need to let them know when you are taking leave then.