1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Date

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by xg!, Nov 26, 2015.

1. xg!

xg! New commenter

I'm about to start a job at a new school (an academy) in January. I've just received the contract and it has my start date as 4 January 2016. Shouldn't it be the 1st? I've resigned my current post effective from 1 January 2016, every other contract I've had in the past has started on the 1st of the month I don't want to effectively be 'unemployed' for 3 days and miss out on pension payments.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It would usually be the case under STPCD, but as an academy, this might not apply. The start date should have been made clear in your appointment letter; if it is then you have no grounds for complaint. Or, what were you told in the job advert or at interview? (On reflection, I don't think that there is anything in STPCD to stop a school offering a start date other than 1st January, May or September.)

Again, if you were under STPCD in your previous school, your last day would be 31 December. I don't think that you could do anything to change this.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Check the offer letter for dates. If it says 1st January then you are in the clear, so write and tell them that there has been an error.

If it says 4th january and you didn't notice when you received it, or it doesn't specify the date, then do this:

Write back and say that while your first day of attendance will be 4 January, your understanding is that your first day of employment will be 1st January.

With luck it will be changed.

Best wishes

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's the national 'Conditions of Service' for teachers in LA schools (the 'Burgundy Book') rather than STPCD that deals with this and the good news if you start in an LA school is that salary when starting at the beginning of term must be paid from 1st of the month.[Section 3, para 1.2)]

Unfortunately it sounds as if OP isn't covered by Burgundy Book conditions so the academy can make its own rules.

5. xg!

xg! New commenter

The offer letter states "a formal contract will be issued on you start date" and the original job advert simply states January 2016. I'll speak to the head and see if he can get it amended.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks, I should have checked. I am glad to see that LA schools can't save money like this.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Academies and Schools have different rules and regulations altogether. LA schools generally contract their employees to commence work on the 1st (in this case 1st January 2016) as your contract with your previous school will have ended on the 31st December 2015. Academies can work however they like. They can start their contracts from the 1st or the first working day of the year.

8. smartmac70

smartmac70 New commenter

I am in the same situation here. Started in a college and they have put the starting date as 4th of Jan to save themselves 3 days. I was not told about this and was assuming it would be the 1st. They made me pay for the CRB too before starting employment.
    I think is a bit cheeky. I'll talk to HR but I am nor expecting miracles.