1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract change to term-time only

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sd190374, Oct 13, 2015.

1. sd190374

sd190374 New commenter

Looking for info please. Our County Council are reviewing classroom based support staff contracts with a view to making us term-time only. Has anybody been through this process? I am a HLTA in a secondary school on 32.5 hours a week. Obviously it's quite worrying thinking about the pay implications!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We've always been term time only. Think the change came in in my LA about 10 years ago. We get a pay slip every month including during the holidays but it is just your salary divided into 12 payments. I think but would need to check that you get some holiday pay after you have worked in the LA for a set period. I think it was to bring us into line with other LA employees who didn't get paid for the holidays. I know many TAs lost out at the time.

Ophelia 9 likes this.
  3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

In our authority all TAs were changed to term-time only following the implementation of Single Status (with efect from 2008, though it took two years to actually do it)! Prior to this some were still on all-year-round, whilst newer staff were on TTO - however, rates of yearly pay were identical, although paid as being two different scales! Hopefully, it might not actually make a difference to what you are paid but simply be a an exercise to bring administration into line.

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

All our TAs are on term time only contracts - in line with teaching contracts (which are also only term time+Pd days).
    Pay is just divided over 12 months. It sounds like an administrative issue rather than a pay issue.

5. sd190374

sd190374 New commenter

Got a bit more info now. It is not an admin issue, it is a pay cut. We are going to be paid term-time only plus holidays instead of 52 weeks. Our hourly rate is going to be calculated on a 37 hour week although we are all currently contracted for 32.5 hours. So our hourly rate will drop as well as being paid for fewer weeks. This has been confirmed by our union rep. Absolutely shocking that contracts can be changed in this way and we don't have a leg to stand on. We are looking at losing approx £3000 a year.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Yip that's what happened in our LA.

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

That sounds like it is coming into line with Single Status - a lot of people went through this about 4 or 5 years ago and, unfortunately, I have never found anyone who was able to successfully fight it.

It's not any comfort but you have actually been luckier than a lot of TAs in retaining all-year-round pay for so long - maybe your Local Authority actually didn't want to reduce your pay and were fighting against it for all this time (or maybe not!)