1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract and covid

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JSutton123, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JSutton123

JSutton123 New commenter

I am due to start a new job in 2 weeks and am becoming more anxious due to rising infections. My husband and grownup daughters are telling me not to go. Where do I stand legally?

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

You need to start work on the date stated or request to be released for your contract now so school can replace you.

DaisysLot, Pomza, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What will your job be? (Strange time to start a teaching contract.)
    What sort of school will you be in? (Primary, special, secondary????)

Some workplaces are far safer than others.
    Some roles are safer than others.

steely1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

You'll be in breach of contract - they're unlikely to sue, as it's hassle and money for little purpose.

But you won't get a job in the area again for a while - I've seen this happen. Heads know each other and talk, you'll be blacklisted to anyone in their professional circle.

Would not recommend.

5. install

install Star commenter

Email them if you are self isolating. Or let them you know you don’t want the job if you won’t be turning up.

6. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

How would it be different from where you are currently working? You applied for the job for a reason I would go for it, there are no guarantees in life that you are ever making the right decision
    Good luck

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Schools are deemed ‘safe’ at the moment to open, so therefore (unless you have to self-isolate) you need to make every effort to turn up for work on your first day.

Piranha and Pomza like this.
  8. JSutton123

JSutton123 New commenter

Thanks. Sorted.

install likes this.
  9. JSutton123

JSutton123 New commenter

Well thanks for that.

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I guess it’s pretty simple:

If you need the money, go to work.

If you don’t, then do whatever you like.

legality doesn’t really come into it. Yes, you may be in breach of contract if you give only this short notice, but they won’t ever do anything about it. If you tell them in advance, they’ll probably just release you from the obligation anyway.

11. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

You’re starting a new job, but you’re taking the advice of others to not go to work, WHEN it is ‘safe’ to do so. The government would close schools down and implement other provisions if it wasn’t safe.....

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

From your other threads, you've already retired twice. If you really do not need the money, contact the school and tell them you no longer wish to have the job. If you want to work again probably best to wait until next year.

monicabilongame, DaisysLot and Pomza like this.
  13. JSutton123

JSutton123 New commenter

Thanks, you’re right.

14. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You're welcome. Hope it all works out.

15. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

The government is making things up as they go...Just because the gov says it’s safe doesn’t mean it is....just look at the infection rate at universities....

16. JSutton123

JSutton123 New commenter

You think they know best.

17. drvs

drvs Star commenter

So, what's the outcome?

18. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Ignore the keyboard warrior comments - in these times you are very much entitled to make your judgements about health risk especially as there is no absolute certainty with regards to Covid 19.

tall tales likes this.