1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contract advice

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by coconut15, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Any help regarding the following would be warmly welcomed;

On Wednesday last week I was offered a job and accepted it verbally and via email. Lo and behold, as luck would have it I was fortunate enough to be offered another job today. Now, the job today is a much better career move for me and I am more excited by it as it is clear career progression.

I am sure on the international circuit that people often agree verbally and via email and then for a variety of reasons pull out. Although I feel as if I am letting the first school down and know it is highly frustrating and dare I say unprofessional, I do think that it is the right thing to do.

I have emailed them and have been honest and explained that the other job offered is right for me for numerous reasons. I am just wondering, from the experience anyone may have , what usually happens in these situations?

2. All worked out. School B were very understanding !

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

There is a
    difference between a verbal and a written acceptance; did you accept by email
    with the proviso 'subject to contract'? If not, then you have accepted the
    post.

In this case the teacher wrote to the school confirming
    acceptance; whilst not a contract, this should have been case closed for the
    first school. I agree with some of the above, the first school could have
    spoken to the second and who knows where it could have ended. Also, some teachers on here regularly moan about not being told the outcomes of interviews - if you were second or third on the list, this is why.

The fact that it seems all is fine is no guarantee. If I was
    school 2's head I would be wary of you, and if I had another good candidate I
    may have gone with them; as Syria says, what is to stop you doing the same when
    school 3 offers you more.

I see names reappearing year after year in the various schools I
    have recruited for; some heads will simply put in the RIP folder immediately
    those they wouldn't want to bother with again. Reputations are easily
    tarnished.

Yes, all may well be fine in this instance, but I'd be careful of
    repeating it in future.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Great point, MM. Yes, the OP should consider they have a black mark next to their name, and that every school head in the world can see it (all right, we know they can't ALL, but there's no telling who knows and who doesn't). Even if everything is good for now, one more black mark, and you can consider your international teaching career ... over? threatened? constrained to tier three schools? the butt of jokes?
    You've been very very lucky. Don't take it for granted.