1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contraception and TTC

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by drumminggirl, Dec 30, 2011.

1. I was hoping for some advice about TTC and contraception. Although my husband and I are not thinking about TTC for at least six months, we are thinking about what to do about contraception.

I have been on Cerezette for a year now but have read worrying things about trying to get pregnant after stopping it (I know-step away from Google!). I don't fancy using condoms for months but I do want to know my ovulation cycles before TTC.

Before falling pregnant with our daughter I was on Microgynan and at least had a period so I was wondering about going back on that but I don't know if it would be worth changing or not? My doctors says it'll make no difference if I stay on the pill it not but I guess with no period, I won't tell if or when I am ovulating. I don't no how long it will take for my periods to return either.

Argh! Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You don't have periods on any kind of pill - you get a withdrawal bleed instead which tells you nothing about ovulation or your natural cycle.
    If you really want to know about your natural cycle, you need to come off all hormones I'm afraid!

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Unhelpfully, there are mixed messages out there. Some things tell you it's a good idea to come off the pill and let your cycles naturalise, whilst others will say you're at your most fertile when you first come off the pill and several women become pg straight away.

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

The advice to wait for a withdrawal bleed before TTC after the pill, is because then you are more likely to know how pregnant you are if you fall pregnant, ie a GP or midwife will ask you to count back to your last menstrual period (LMP). Not much use if your cycles are hugely irregular like mine, over 100 days sometimes- made TTC a nightmare. Some people like to come off the pill and use condoms for a while, say 3 months before they actually want to TTC, to see if their periods are regular and count days, but it's up to you. It took nearly a year for us to conceive our daughter, now 12 months old, but that's down to PCO on my part and hormone imbalances that my husband has. We didn't know about either before we decided to try.

5. With my daughter I got pregnant 2 weeks after stopping taking minipill (a different one to cerazette but I had only come off cerazette about 2 months before)

This time round, it took 7 months from copper coil removal (so apparently no hormones in system).

From my experience no need to worry - the not having date for LMP is entertaining but I was pretty sure when I.had conceived anyway, and was dated via scan. It isnt really an issue as assuming ovulation took place on cd14 is rather 'basic' to say the least!

6. Thank you all for your replies. I am having a good think about what to do!