1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continuous Service

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I have mentioned this before, but feel it should be raised.

If you leave your permanent post and work for a supply agency, you will lose your local authority continuous service rights, these rights can be ported from one local authority to another, but not via supply agency work.

This has major implications for sick leave, maternity rights and holiday rights if you go into another job e.g. an advisory post, later on.

Even if you have about thirty years continuous service, you lose your rights after just two weeks outside of local authority work. I am in that situation, having done supply for a while, then found a great job ...no school holidays and having gone down to minimum holiday entitlement and starting with no sick pay rights then gradually building it up.

No regrets, just something I hadn’t thought about and no-one had raised to me. I just want others to be aware.

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.