1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continuous service when moving academies

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gigibelle23, Apr 2, 2017.

1. gigibelle23

gigibelle23 New commenter

Hello, in September, I will have worked for 2 years at a school which was LEA, then TUPE transferred in September to an academy. This September I will be moving to another academy in a different LEA. Will my continuous service begin again in September, or does anyone know how I can find out? I'm planning ahead for maternity pay but I don't want to set alarm bells ringing at my next school by asking them about it just yet. Thank you for any advice offered :)

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Does the new school use the Burgundy Book? As an academy, they can but don't have to. If so, they might be prepared to accept your current employment as part of coninuous service, but I don't think they have to. The Burgundy Book specifies LA schools. Either you need to ask or plan for the worst, I am afraid.

gigibelle23 likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As I understand it academy trusts are separate employers so if you choose to move to a new job in a new academy trust, where TUPE does not apply, there will not be continuity of employment unless the new academy trust's contracts of employment offer it. An academy is under no duty to offer continuity of employment in these circumstances, but if it does decide to do so it should be in your offer letter/contract of employment. If you don't want to ask the school your union rep should know.

gigibelle23 likes this.
  4. gigibelle23

Thank you for your reply. I think I may be disappointed :-(

5. gigibelle23

Thank you. I didn't see anything about this in the contract but being new to this I wasn't sure what to look for. I'll check. Can union reps be trusted with personal information like this? Having witnessed unprofessional union member behaviour at my current school I'm a bit wary of approaching union reps now.