1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Continuous service recognised when moving from academy to LA school

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by JT77, Oct 4, 2015.

  1. JT77

    JT77 New commenter

    Does anyone know if my continuous service (15 years with numerous local authorities) is likely to be recognised if my previous employer became an academy during my employment there, but then I subsequently moved to a local authority run school?

    I have recently been diagnosed with cancer and have realised that I may not be entitled to full sick pay as I have only been at my new school less than a year.
  2. Morninglover

    Morninglover Star commenter

    Sorry to hear about your predicament - can I suggest you contact your Union ASAP.

    PS You may also get a well-informed response if you post this on 'workplace Dilemmas'...
  3. DaisysLot

    DaisysLot Senior commenter

    If you were in an LEA school that became an academy then your conditions of service should have had some protected clauses under TUPE.
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and send my best wishes.

    TUPE yes, but if you are moving to a different Local Authority from the one the Academy was in originally, then occasionally this may affect your length of service.

    Not always, but sometimes, I believe. Ring up HR at the Local Authority.

    In my experience both HR and your own Head will be very sympathetic to you in this difficult period, so do talk to them about how to best manage your treatment and your teaching.


Share This Page