1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continuous service and academies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Sarahmck86, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Sarahmck86

Sarahmck86 New commenter

Hi there

i have been working for an ex LEA school which became an academy before I joined since Jan 14. I am leaving next week and starting at a school which is still under lea authority (same county). We have had a tough year as a family, I lost a baby at 10 weeks in dec/jan and had to undergo erpc.

If I were to fall pregnant before September, would my time at the academy count as continuous service to qualify for mat pay?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I'm afraid it probably won't. Think of moving from academy to LEA in much the same way as folk move companies in business - For example if you moved from one company to another even though you might be doing the same job, your service would not be continuous with one company….

As you would have worked the minimum of 26 weeks in the last 52 you would quality for Maternity Allowance (MA) which is paid for at the same rate as SMP, you just need to apply for it yourself.