1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

continuous provision planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by busnae, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi, I am new to reception this year and gradually getting my head around what I need/want to be doing.

I wondered if people put up continuous provision maps up on the walls so they are visible to everyone? But all the sheets that I have found are very lengthy and I couldn't imagine a sheet up for each area.

I also had the idea that I should go through the process myself and not use anyone else's maps from resources but this is a somewhat lengthy process and I am wondering if somewhat stupid! and maybe it is ok to use another and adapt it?

thanks

I am also interested in enhancement baskets and photos of situations to support play in various areas

2. Hi, I am new to reception this year and gradually getting my head around what I need/want to be doing.

I wondered if people put up continuous provision maps up on the walls so they are visible to everyone? But all the sheets that I have found are very lengthy and I couldn't imagine a sheet up for each area.

I also had the idea that I should go through the process myself and not use anyone else's maps from resources but this is a somewhat lengthy process and I am wondering if somewhat stupid! and maybe it is ok to use another and adapt it?

thanks

I am also interested in enhancement baskets and photos of situations to support play in various areas

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. notasstressedasilook

notasstressedasilook New commenter

Hi busnae, I'd definitely start with adapting existing CP planning rather than starting from scratch. There are loads of good examples in the resources section! Read around how different people use them. We're running Year One as reception this year and I'm new to it all too but have found loads of excellent advice and ideas on here!
    Good luck!

5. You might consider having a few questions and some vocabulary for adults to use in your CP areas. My belief is that busy people do not stop to read all the stuff on these very wordy (but worthy) posters. But they just might look up and see a possible question on a flashcard on the wall and use it with the children.
    I can see the value if people need to know the detail of the EYFS, and are given time to read and digest the material, but perhaps this would be better achieved differently. Even, maybe, give staff copies of the provision map and time to read it before putting it up?

6. Or even get some staff meeting time and write/adapt them as a staff team.

7. And if you have a nursery class, co-ordinate with them (and Y!) to show progression in CP.

8. Msz

My LA recommend that settings use CPas Long term planning and provide examples on the EYFS site which we adapted to fit our school circumstances/resources

9. Hi thanks everyone have ditched the idea of doing it on my own from scratch!

Msz have found your plans and have found them really useful thanks.

I like the idea of having prompts in the area for adults

any thoughts on photos/enhancement baskets?

10. Msz can you point me in the direction of your LA, thanks

11. Msz

12. thanks again - these are really thorough and a great help