1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continuous Provision in Year 2....Year 2 teachers help/advice/info needed please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bigbev, Sep 25, 2010.

1. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

After our Year 1's changed to a more foundation stage approach last year including continuous provision Year 2 needs to consider changes this year.
    Are you a Year 2 teacher that is already teaching this way? How have you approached Year 2 to Year 3 transition? What does your planning look like? How was progress last year?
    All help advice etc greatly appreciated.

2. Get some ideas from your Y1 colleagues about how they plan and the kind of things they do, then just extend accordingly to fit Y2 curriculum and abilities. Link activities to your lit/num/topic or phonemes you are working on so they are relevant and have LO's.
    Give them challenges and tasks. Use your tabletops for craft/construction/small world etc activities but make sure there are challenging tasks attached
    Some general ideas:
    "Follow the instructions to draw a lion. Write your own instructions on how to draw an animal"
    "Make a lego bridge. How tall can you make it before it collapses? Can you make it hold a 20g weight? (lego,rulers,weights)"
    "The sheep have escaped from the farm. What could the farmer do?"
    "What do babies need?" (Doll role play)

Make sure the children know they HAVE to do the task if they choose that activity. Just introducing an element of choice instead of directing them all to a table is a start.

3. We worked this way for a couple of years however we found that the children were not producing the volume and quality of work that we knew they could produce (specifically for SATs/APP evidence) so we tweaked our way of working. Worked with continuous provision in Autumn term. Spring term was mornings formal with afternoons providing topics/foundation subjects and continuous provision. Summer term was all about the formal teachign to prepare for transition into juniors. It has been really successful working this way and it will continue for as long as I am here!
    SATs were at beginning of Summer term and results were significantly better (not that I care too much for SATs results but we do have some people VERY interested in our KS1 results. Not the children, just results)
    The continuous provision that we put out was also very specific and aimed at pushing the children on and challenging them. Challenge cards available for children to challenge their friends with (laminated so they can be re used)
    It's a fab way of working. I really hope that, with the Rose Review being scrapped, the Government doesn't frown upon this way of working. It is so beneficial to those children who leave EY and year 1 a little behind their peers. They can still develop the social, physical and emotional skills that foundation stage profile highlights.

4. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Miss Teach 10
    Thank you so much for your time.....Your answer is very helpful

5. Would it be possible to have a look at your planning and an example of the challenge cards?

6. I can certainly send some planning, although I'm currently signed off work so have no access to intranet where plans are! As soon as I am back (within next week or 2) I will send you relevant planning examples.

7. That would be great. :)

8. Hi
    I am moving into Year 2 in September and have been asked to start introducing continuous provision. I am a little anxious about doing this as we are due an ofsted visit in autumn :( I am really interested in how you are doing it at your school and would greatly appreciate any advice/planning etc that you have. My email is dtnw30297@blueyonder.co.uk
    Kind Regards

9. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

i too am moving to y2 and would love some plans. id particularly love to see some challenge cards

10. I would really appreciate looking at some planning. I am in year 2 next year.
    jan.walker@w3z.co.uk

11. In September I will have FS1/FS2/Y1/Y2 so I would be really interested to see how you provide continuous provision for Y2.

Many thanks
    coops1279@hotmail.com

12. Sorry to add to the list but I would be very interested in seeing your planning and challenge cards too.
    Many thanks mkc22@hotmail.co.uk

13. If its at all possible, I would love to see what successful planning, timetabling and challenges look like in year 2 please.
    subsub@gmail.com

14. Probably a little late, but would it be possible to look at some of the planning and those challenge cards? I'm looking to do this with my Year 2's next year.

My email is alex.powley@gmail.com

Many thanks!

15. beijaflor

beijaflor New commenter

Any chance I could ask the same?

Many thanks!

orielroad@hotmail.com

16. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

17. Hi,
    I was looking through the forums, and have a R/1/2 class, and have found that the Year 2's will just play in the areas in my classroom. Is there any chance you culd send me some of your challenge cards to give me some ideas?
    Thanks, I realise this post was from a 2 years ago, hope you still have them!
    alisnell2003@yahoo.co.uk
    Ali x