1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continuing Learning Journeys in Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by geniegirl, Jul 7, 2012.

1. The Foundation Stage have really developed their Learning Journeys this year. Each child has a folder which includes all observations (short and long) plus child initiated and adult initiated evidence for all 6 areas of learning. The parents, staff and children all love these. This week I was approached by HT who told me that the children would be bringing these Learning Journeys up to Y1 with them and we should carry on with them until at least Christmas.
    I was just wondering if anyone else did this? What did you put into them? I have worked in Reception before and loved filling in stickies/post its for the children, but there is no way I could write so many in Y1 as there is much less time for child initiated learning (and when there is, I shall be working with a group). I was thinking of filling it with lots of photos and child intiated mark making etc (all adult initiated will be going in their exercise books!). Just wondered what else I could do so that everyone concerned finds them useful?

2. The Foundation Stage have really developed their Learning Journeys this year. Each child has a folder which includes all observations (short and long) plus child initiated and adult initiated evidence for all 6 areas of learning. The parents, staff and children all love these. This week I was approached by HT who told me that the children would be bringing these Learning Journeys up to Y1 with them and we should carry on with them until at least Christmas.
    I was just wondering if anyone else did this? What did you put into them? I have worked in Reception before and loved filling in stickies/post its for the children, but there is no way I could write so many in Y1 as there is much less time for child initiated learning (and when there is, I shall be working with a group). I was thinking of filling it with lots of photos and child intiated mark making etc (all adult initiated will be going in their exercise books!). Just wondered what else I could do so that everyone concerned finds them useful?

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I I didn't, but instead I do the following: In topic I don't because all the children produce work that can be stuck in to their books. I use those type with sugar paper and lined paper in. For literacy I have 2 types of books wider lines and narrow lines. I do put photo evidence in these along with their writing. My plan for maths is that they will still have squared books but the LA and MA will have more photos and observations written in, like learning journeys. The reason for this is because my maths is pretty much hands on and not much recording into books at the start so this means there will be evidence. I do carry on using their FSP if they are below a 1c and next year I also plan to look more carefully at their development matters objectives.