1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continue with union payments?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Oldbutnotreally, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I don't understand the anti teaching union positions of many people here.

I've taken out life membership of the NAHT. Expensive in the first year of retirement but after that £36 per year or thereabouts.

Worth every penny I would say.

strawbs and Sundaytrekker like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm not anti-Union in any sense (& would always advise ANY teacher to join one), but once retired membership really isn't needed.

Piranha likes this.
  3. pmichelmore

pmichelmore New commenter

I was under the impression that retired members of the NASUWT are covered for any incident that occurred during their career for life?

4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

It is about the support Frank. You might not feel that you need it. But if you cancel your union subs and then need the union then it would be too late.

Startedin82 likes this.
  5. asnac

asnac Established commenter

The discussion has been about unions' role in protecting the employee, and I stand by what I said: unions are poor value, considering what you get for your money. The legal insurance element is maybe worth £100 a year. Most people pay more than double that.

If you don't object to union presidents remunerated to the tune of £160,000, political agendas being promoted in your name etc. then you might consider the subs to be good value. I pay, but through gritted teeth.

6. FrankWolley

The point is I couldn't (nor indeed still can't) see what support they can offer to someone who is no longer working. As a Union their expertise is in dealing with employment issues - and you're not employed. In the incredibly unlikely event that there is a police investigation I'd want expert criminal legal advice/support.

I'd be interested if anyone here has needed the support of their union after they have retired from teaching...

Piranha likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

Unions are excellent value for the support they can & do give to working teachers. Any teacher who isn't in a union is walking a tightrope over a chasm, IMHO.

Startedin82, Piranha and strawbs like this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I had wondered the same thing. The only things that would concern me are the possibility of getting sued or of criminal proceedings, both of which seem extremely unlikely. I am not sure that a union would be the best place to get the required legal support.

Like @FrankWolley, I saw the value of being in a union right from the start of my teaching career. I did stay as a retired member for a couple of years.