1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continue contributions or not.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by iankelly, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Dear Colleagues
    Having applied online for ARB last week I am still walking on a cloud feeling great. My school have been very good and have said I can come back for two days a week to cover PPA, which suits me fine.
    However I am not sure if I should start paying contributions again to start another pension.If I do will I have to wait until I am 65 to receive this small extra pension? I am 55 in September and cannot see me working the two days a week for more than 2-3 years until I give up completely.
    Many Thanks

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think it would be a good way of saving a bit while you've still got an income and would give you a nice rise when you're 65. But you might like to find something else to do with the money. That's the lovely thing - it's up to you!

3. You could take the extra pension anytime, subject to ARB. Even if you work less than a year you can apply for an annuity. So its just a matter of deciding if you want a tax free pension contribution of 14.1% from your employer for the extra work.