1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Continual Interruption

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sally006, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Of course there are always situations when your lessons need to be interrupted and I’m not criticising that but it seems that in our place anyone can, with any matter, however trivial. There is no regard given to the effort it takes to get children settled and ready to learn. PTA are a case in point. I appreciate they do lots to help school funds and need to give out letters, raffle tickets, costumes for Summer Fayre processions etc. But surely the polite thing to do is either drop things into the office with instructions or ask the teacher when is a convenient time to visit. In our place they just barge in mid lesson and even when I requested to come back later that was ignored!!! Is it any surprise that we have issues gaining kids attention if their parents ignore us? Is this just my school or do others have the same problem. If I raise it, will I be shot down by “they do a lot to help the school so don’t upset them”? Am I being unreasonable? Even Ofsted are not supposed to interrupt the flow of teaching!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't think you're being at all unreasonable. The school needs to be firm with the PTA and limit them on this. That doesn't necessarily mean never letting them interrupt lessons, but putting some bounds on it. You're probably not going to mind them popping in at registration time, provided they're happy to wait for you to get to the end of the register. If they need to get round every class in the school, then perhaps that can be done with warning: "the PTA are coming round the classes on Wednesday afternoon - if there are any times you need them to avoid, jot them on the piece of paper on the notice board and they'll work around that".

Sally006, phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No, you're not being at all unreasonable.
    Do you have a secretary/ someone in reception who can check when would be a convenient time' for any letters/ discussions to happen?

phlogiston likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

How can they just wander in? What about safeguarding and knowing who is on the premises?

We had a tray system for each class which really worked - items for the office in the tray in the morning and then taken to the office by 'office monitors' (a very important job!) and then trays back to the classroom in the afternoon (by the same monitors) and the trays held everything that needed to go out.

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

This needs to be raised with the head - lessons should not be interrupted unless necessary.

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Members of the PTA should be under the same regime as governors unless they have been given leave to provide some sort of help/support in class. You should have written guidelines/policies for this to ensure boundaries are maintained and enforced if someone takes a laissez faire attitude.

Sally006, Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  7. Sally006

We have a tray system and 2 very efficient administrators but they still are allowed down the corridor. I intend to raise it but I’m absolutely convinced it won’t go down well.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Think about how your raise it and who with...

Also, is this an all year issue, or just in the summer term because so much is going on?

9. Sally006

I agree. Diplomacy is important. I was thinking that a discussion needs to be had with head and all staff to look at policy and boundary issues. Then this needs diplomatically addressing at a PTA meeting in the new school year. Can’t say the problem is all year but I remember similar issues when much needed rehearsals for the school play conflicted with PTA wanting to set up hall for Xmas Fayre. Head said they could, ignoring the whole staff agreed rehearsal schedule. Poor communication, agreed. However, educational priorities must come first and I just don’t think some of our parents, however well meaning, see this at all.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is there a teacher rep on the PTA? This is one of the things their role can sort out.
    Maybe offer to do that role next year and then PTA bits can be timetabled in amongst the school bits in the calendar.
    That's something I do anyway.
    First meeting of the school year, sort out dates and activities to avoid such clashes.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.