1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contingency for school closures

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FormosaRed, Mar 11, 2020.

1. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

If you are planning to use Google Classroom in the event of school closures in a few weeks time, now would be a good time to get class lists joined up and ready to go. I'm going to start setting it up for myself this weekend.

phlogiston, cassandramark2 and Emzo like this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Do the students have google accounts which allow them access to google classroom?
    Have the students and teachers been trained in any way to use google classroom?
    Have the students and parents been informed that online learning is going to happen?

Do the students and teachers have sufficient bandwidth to support online lessons?

Alice K, Catgirl1964 and Morninglover like this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Good points. I live in a rural area, & it's not unusual for the broadband to stop for a time (esp. in bad weather) - sometimes for hours.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

There's the ready made excuse for a lie in if the school closures go ahead. (Probably not needed for you, judging by the username!)

5. CheeseMongler

(Whilst I joke about this and would not be so unprofessional personally, I'm sure several (most!) of my students will use this reason for not doing any work whilst the school's closed)

6. FormosaRed

Yes to all those questions.

Most schools are planning for this at the moment. Obviously Google classroom might not be your Platform. But you will have other ways of ensuring you can still teach.

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Microsoft Teams is a good alternative as it comes with office365. Still needs to be set up though with classes

FormosaRed likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Some schools can do this.
    Others will have other online platforms through which work can be sent.
    Some schools may not be able to do anything.
    If schools have a platform, they should be setting it up now

agathamorse likes this.
  9. wally0

wally0 New commenter

We're being told that if school closes we'll all work from home with microsoft teams to our usual timetable. We have to do a register every 50 mins on our normal timetable so our whole day will be spent teaching on line. Awful if you have your own children at home too and we've been told if you have your own children at home it's not an issue. We're a state school but lucky to have a laptop scheme and have started using microsoft teams from Sept. All students have been practicing working from home. A bit depressing that we will be tied to our computers. Student/staff absences will be recorded and office staff are going to work from home to call those not on line at the correct times!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Morninglover

Haha. Yes, user name is a clue.

But, as it happens, I'm retired!

11. CheeseMongler

If I don't have internet access at home, or (more relevantly) if I do not want to use the bandwidth that is needed (and paid for) for my housemate to conduct his business, are the school going to provide alternatives? What are they?

12. Morninglover

I was wondering about this too.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not a problem I shall encounter but what if you don't use microsoft or have a windows PC/laptop? I use a chromebook at home for everything. Never in 30years has a school loaned/given me a laptop.

BetterNow and Morninglover like this.
  14. history200

history200 New commenter

What about the families that can't afford computers or the internet? They don't deserve to fall behind just because they can't access the same learning as their classmates. They are potentially already vulnerable in other ways, why disadvantage them further?!

agathamorse and bajan like this.
  15. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

If you are trying to do this in a rush, you are going to walk into a lot of problems. Students can't log on, forgetting their details, digital divide and staff training. It is not the sort of thing you can get going in a week. It takes all of my Year 10s at least 2 weeks to get equipped not to mess up or complete their work.

agathamorse and FormosaRed like this.
  16. FormosaRed

How is encouraging students to learn disadvantaging people who can't get on the internet ? Surely they are no less disadvantaged by inviting the majority to learn. Email is one way of encouraging students to learn. Are we really saying that because some people don't have access to email, then no one should learn ? Mad.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If these systems are anything like the one my school has it will crash half way through day one and that will be the end of it.

agathamorse, Sally006 and maggie m like this.
  18. history200

history200 New commenter

No i'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that the poor kids, in the poor areas don't deserve to fall even further behind because their parents don't have the resources that other parents do!

agathamorse and bajan like this.
  19. Morninglover

So how would you deal with that inequality, both under current circumstances and in the future?

20. Morninglover

Well France are dealing with this problem:

Re: school closures and use of virtual classrooms etc.
    Kim Willsher@kimwillsher1

"French education minister says 5% of children have no internet at home, so ministry is looking at lending necessary equipment, and more classic distribution of material by paper. Each family will be contacted by their school heads, they must feel supported".