1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contents insurance for students - advice needed, pease.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by birrboy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. bb junior is off to uni in a week's time. He'll be living in a shared house with 4 other lads, and we were wondering if it's worthwhile getting insurance for his laptop and other electronic goods. And if so, what sort of policy, insurance company etc?
    I'm hoping some posters here will have some experience of this issue and be able to give me some advice.

2. bb junior is off to uni in a week's time. He'll be living in a shared house with 4 other lads, and we were wondering if it's worthwhile getting insurance for his laptop and other electronic goods. And if so, what sort of policy, insurance company etc?
    I'm hoping some posters here will have some experience of this issue and be able to give me some advice.

3. Check if your household insurance covers it. Some companies include students living away from home! Same with student bank accounts- they give all sorts of added bonuses so shop around. I didn't bother with insurance, as the only thing I had of value was my laptop, it wasn't covered for normal malfunctions (just theft, damage) and the insurance wound up more than a new laptop- so I chanced it.

4. Many thanks, I'll check those out.

5. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Definitely check your home insurance- My student house was broken into and my laptop stolen that we thought was uninsured, but it was covered under my parents' home insurance luckily.
    Student houses are not know for being the most secure!

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We found the cost of the insurance was more than the cost of replacing his items. Nothing was stolen anyway. Give 'em cheap **** and then it doesn't matter if it gets nicked!

7. Loads of companies do special student contents insurance. The NUS probably have discount deals with some of them.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

The NAS/UWT have a link with Endsleigh - we've used them.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I used Endsleigh too, even when we got our own rented home.
    The cover seemed pretty good but we didn't need to claim and thats always the real test of how good they are x

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Endsleigh are terrible! They're really expensive and when I made a claim they put my premium up the next year by the amount they'd given me.

11. Never bothered with inusrance, solely because i have never had anything worth pinching.