1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Content Not Working"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Trying to watch the live streaming from the BBC's 24hour thing.
    Been fine for ages and not it won't play the video saying content not working. I've restarted my computer and it came up with an error with a program called 'Bonjour' which I've no idea about.
    Anyone got any suggestions? I'm missing Mock the Week!

2. Milkandchalk

Trying to watch the live streaming from the BBC's 24hour thing.
    Been fine for ages and not it won't play the video saying content not working. I've restarted my computer and it came up with an error with a program called 'Bonjour' which I've no idea about.
    Anyone got any suggestions? I'm missing Mock the Week!

3. Mine is working. It went a bit odd about 15 mins ago, but it's working now.
    All I did was close Firefox.
    Which is no help at all!

4. I thought this was going to be a thread about being happy on retirement.

5. Milkandchalk

I've tried it on Firefox and IE.
    Neither work

6. Same here. I would be very 'content not working'!

7. Milkandchalk

Me too! However the pension statement I got last week pointed out that I still have 33 years left to go.
    Just did a system restore and missed all of Mock the Week [​IMG]

8. 24 for me. If retirement age is still 67 by then and not something like 90.

9. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

As others have said,I too would be content (extatic!) if I did not have to work.

10. Milkandchalk

Seems from that statement however that I get out at 60!

11. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Teaching pension is still 60 for most of us (was changed to 65 for new entrants a few years ago). State pension however has been put back to 66,67 0r 68 depending on your current age.
    However,the changes of those ages staying as they are are pretty slim!

12. Our retirment age has always been higher here. Normally I could have retired at 65. I belong to the few who are too old and too young - I have to plod on until I am 67. We make no difference between males and females - we have one retiring age for all.

13. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You can get the years, months and days to your state pension if you go to
    www.pensions-service.direct.gov.uk/en/state-pension-age-calculator/home.asp
    and input your gender and D.O.B
    I'll get mine when I'm 63yrs 7 mths 2 days old in under 6.5 years' time.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I had a problem a week or so ago with youtube not playing videos. The solution was to delete all the temporary Internet files. Maybe yours is a similar issue. Nothing to lose by trying it.

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

This is an aposite thing for me to review at the moment. I've never really considered retiring. I lost my job a couple of months ago when I lost my driving licence. To be honest, it was time for a change, as has been the case whenever I've taken a different career direction.
    Each time, it worked out better for me, so in losing my job, I wasn't as phased as some might be. In actual fact, bizarrely, the way it turned out, I now have more money in the bank than I did when I worked, so I have time to consider what I would really like to do, which will probably be some form of self-employment. To be honest, the job had changed over the previous year, involved ludicrous amounts of travelling, increasingly long hours and I wasn't at all happy with the trend, so it's better I'm off out of it, although had I not lost my licence, as I had a stake in the business, I have probably carried on, not seeing the wood for the trees.
    I could if I chose to, take the opportunity now and take early retirement because given my age, location and rarity of suitable jobs I could do, the Jobcentre is unlikely to give me too much grief. I enjoyed the break and the opportunity to spend time with my wife, but to be frank, there's only so much you can get interested in when you live in a rural village and wish to avoid the mundane.
    This past 8 days I've been helping a friend out of a spot with his business. I'll be back there again tomorrow (Sunday) just to point out I'm not workshy. He's taken a large order that needs to be made by the middle of the week and lost a key player in his business through ill-heath. I absolutely loved it, getting back to my engineering roots and problem-solving. Things I excel at but require the right environment and freedom to be able to do so.
    It seems to me, it's not so much a question of having to work but more one of having a job you really enjoy doing.

16. No fair! I won't get mine til I'm 66!

17. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

My pc switched off Bonjour by itself (not sure exactly what it is but think it has something to do with streaming/music/video/iTunes or something - very technical of me!).

You can switch it back on by going to Control Panel and then Adminstrative Services (I think that's what it's called - don't have a pc to hand to check). Then select Bonjour and restart.

Good luck - I can empathise about missing Mock the Week :)