1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contemporary Art Practise in Primary School

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by bryonys26, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently planning a series of Art lessons using Installation/Performance Art for upper key stage 2, and seem to have hit a bit of a research wall!
    I've found some great journal articles and notes on the TTRB site but not mush else! Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for good websites/case studies etc that I could look at for examples of good practice/innovation etc
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I'm currently planning a series of Art lessons using Installation/Performance Art for upper key stage 2, and seem to have hit a bit of a research wall!
    I've found some great journal articles and notes on the TTRB site but not mush else! Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for good websites/case studies etc that I could look at for examples of good practice/innovation etc
    Thanks

3. Hi, you could look at some of shiraga's work. He was with the gutai group and created large works with emphasis on the act of creating rather than the final outcome. (could be really messy though) I think Jackson pollack was also interested in such work and was also interested in the act of creating in addition to the final outcome. 'The little theatre of dolls has a good website and there is an article in a recent crafts magasine. would be good for generating small stage designs/ marrionettes. Installation wise Anthony gormley 'field for the british isles' a bit overdone perhaps but very accessible as is andy goldsworthy - good for getting pupils to look at the natural world and how to use it.
    hope a bit of this is of use,
    Tim

4. http://www.punchdrunk.org.uk/
    these people are brilliant. They put on performances for the public but also work with schools and teachers

5. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

I would like you to look at the work of the performance artist Jordan Mcckenzie. jordanmckenzie.co.uk
    Also: Marina Abramovic, "Sam" Tehching Hsieh, Franko B, Caroline Smith, Paul McCarthy, and for humour look at the " World Famous Bushman " and Tatsumi Oromoto. Google LIVE ART as a search phrase and that will lead to more research paths.

6. There might be some videos of performance art on ubuweb:

http://ubu.com/

7. I don't know how easy it will be to get hold of but "AWESOME! Australian Art for Contemorary kids" is a great introduction to the range of practices used by contemporary artists.

8. Take a look at the Live Art Development Agency website. The Tate have just opened a new space called The Tank Rooms. Its dedicated specifically to live/interactive/installation art. There should be some useful stuff on the Tate wesite.

9. You could have a look at the installation art workshop at AccessArt: http://www.accessart.org.uk/?p=2516.