1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contemplating leaving teaching/education

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by piegirl, Jun 6, 2019.

1. piegirl

piegirl New commenter

Hello lovely folks.
    I've worked in special needs schools for 15 years, but am currently so disparaged, I'm ready to leave. My current school is having a restructure. I feel I've been treated very poorly, and I feel the new appointments in the SLT are extremely disappointing. For various reasons, and lack of jobs available, I don't want a side ways step into another school as assistant principal/deputy head. Have you any ideas where I could go from here? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

Hi piegirl, it sounds as though you feel you are at a watershed in your career. a 'sideways step ... as assistant/principal/deputy head' (which you don't want) seems to indicate that you are already at senior management level. If you don't want a sideways step, would you look for a promotion or are you looking for something completely different? Do you have a special needs qualification? If not, then the process of doing one might help you to identify your next steps.

3. ibuem

ibuem New commenter

Hi - I have no solutions, I'm afraid but just wanted to sympathise as I feel in exactly the same situation. I've no interest in leadership, I still love teaching, but there seems nowhere to go from here. I think once upon a time there would have been the option to become an advanced skills teacher, but I don't think that that option has been replaced. I also feel that for those who have no interest in moving into leadership, but still want some kind of career path, there are *no* options....