1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Shifter, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Not intended to divert posts away from the allotment thread.
    For the last few years I have succesfully planted up containers of peas, beans, onions, garlic, spuds and the like. Tomatoes and chillis in the greenhouse.
    Just wondered if anyone had success with other veggies in containers?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I also do radishes, spring onions and salad leaves in containers.

3. A big pot with 2 or 3 different coloured silverbeets looks pretty flash.

4. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Ooh thanks - anyone tried things like carrots, parsnips or sprouts?
    My Sutton's seed catalogue arrived this am, so I'm all of a dither what to order.

5. I've never tried it, but some of those shorter carrots are often potted. Parsnips and sprouts would be a bit daring - I wouldn't be game.

6. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I'm sorely tempted to order a few plants -

7. I grow carrots in pots and window boxes every year - I tend to go for the dwarf variety and I have never had any problems.
    Also grow beetroot in pots and window boxes - I grow everything in pots and window boxes, lol.
    Spinach is also really easy to grow in pots or containers.

8. It's not diverting, shifter, I think lots of us have some container veg. I have a big garden and I still use pots.
    I will be doing carrots and pots in containers this year. Carrots to outwit the carrot fly and post as we have blight - they'll be miles away from the toms beacuse of that too! I'll also be trying onions and garlic as we have soft nose rot in the ground!
    Any root veg could be grown in containers if you choose the short varieties. When I was a kid my granddad only had a back yard, all paved, concrete etc. He grew loads of stuff, enough to supply my nana with seasonal veg for a family of 6 - 16 every Sunday.
    I don't think he ever met a veg he didn't put in a pot to grow!
    It is probably easier these days as almost everything has a short, dwarf or mini variety.

9. I grow my baby carrots together with radishes.
    I remember Grandad always used to plant his carrots between rows of radishes. I think it was something to do with being able to see where the lines of carrots were as they pushed through although I can't remember exactly why he did it.
    I don't have problems with carrot flies - I am up on the second story and they can't fly up that far [​IMG]
    I have also grown broccoli and cabbage in pots - you can get about three of each into a large pot (I use those black ones builders use for mixing stuff in - dirt cheap from the DIY store).
    And this year I will be trying those little squashes Pobs recommended [​IMG]
    I only have about 4 square metres of balcony but I manage to grow enough to feed the three of us no problems from late Spring right through to early Winter, and my spinach lasts even longer than that.
    The only thing I don't grow (because of the lack of space) is courgette, although I know they are easy to grow in containers, as Mum always grew hers in containers.
    I usually have a cucumber plant which I grow up a piece of string attached to a hook on the ceiling.

10. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Yes, I will extend my range this year. I had two pot failures last year, blueberry and kiwi fruit. So veggies it is.

11. StorEy. I don't live in a book [​IMG]

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Though that could be fun- have you read Beware of the Storybook Wolves?

13. I would never bother with brassicas in pots as the yield is so small. Tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, lettuces, beans, peas, courgettes can be grown if you train them up and choose smaller varieties, potatoes in bags, spinach, chillies, peppers, aubergines all have been successful - given a good summer.
    Will definitely try the baby squashes this year

14. Can someone give me instructions for growing potatos in a bag? Pretty please?

15. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Yes, places like Dobbies sell big collapsible bags. You put in a layer of compost, say 30cm. Place three seed potatoes in and cover them over.
    As the leaves form, gradually cover the plant, until the bag is full. But don't make the mistake I made, you need to feed the plants as they are growing. I had a good crop but they were small.
    The best tasters I had, were ones out of the pantry that were beginning to sprout. Rooster Booster I think they were called.
    But, feed them
    [​IMG]

16. I use heavy duty bin bags.
    I roll the down and put the compost in, the a few seed potatoes. As I am "filling" up, I roll the bag up a bit higher.
    I actually like to harvest mine when they are quite small, but I put the ones I don't need back in the soil and by the end of the season, you have some quite big ones.
    Even just one bag (or pot) should see you with quite a lot of potatoes - I normally have two bags although it might be one again this year, as I need some room for my little squashes.

17. I did potatoes last year in those collapsible bags you can get from £shops-didnt get many potatoes on them-think they just werent deep enough. However, I used the same bags for courgettes, they were great-but i made sure to put an upside down bottle in each pot with the end cut off so i could keep them topped up with water. We had enough for 2 of us all summer

18. Thank you for all the advice. Looking at local information, I think I'm too late in the session to plant now but next spring it is on my list. I'm not quite sure about what the collapsible bags are. Forgive me, I am in Australia. The binliners are an excellent idea. I have heard of using old car tyres in a similar way.
    One more question how high does the bag eventually go. Ok as far as it can but what is the average high you end up building to?

19. hmmm, I reckon my bags are about 70 cm high once rolled up and then the foliage keeps growing out of the top.
    You really do need heavy duty ones though, otherwise they don't retain their shape (and remember to put a couple of holes near the bottom for drainage).
    You can also use old compost bags - recycling [​IMG] Just turn them inside out so that the black is on the outside (helps to keep the compost nice and warm).
    You need to roll down (and then up again as you fill up) so that the foliage gets enough sunlight.