1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contacts wanted to discuss good practice in schools around the world (for research project)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rosaespanola, Jul 14, 2015.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm a teacher at a secondary school in the UK and I'm aiming to begin a research project looking at a few aspects of education that my school and department are focusing on at the moment. I really want to find out about good practice in schools outside the UK, so if any of you work in schools which are particularly strong on any of the following (or can point me in the direction of a particular school) I'd really appreciate it. I do already have some contacts around the world, but the more I have, the better!

The things I'm looking at are:
    - using target language with beginners in MFL lessons
    - using literature (poems, short stories etc) with beginners in MFL
    - narrowing the achievement gap between certain groups of students, e.g. boys & girls, disadvantaged students, ethnic minorities etc
    - improving behaviour and generating a positive attitude to school and learning

Sorry for all the terrible management-speak! If you know anyone, anywhere in the world, who I might be able to talk to about any of this, please let me know. Cheers!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Many reading this will be in international schools. Is that what you want or you want teachers in local schools of whatever country they're in?

If the former, feel free to PM me although there are some things I couldn't comment on (e.g. ethnic minorities).

3. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I'm open to both, though as you said I expect some of the things I'm looking at wouldn't be so applicable in an international school. It's possible that people in international schools may have contacts in and knowledge of local schools in the area they're teaching though.

It's not necessarily easy to get in contact with people in schools abroad where I don't have any contacts at all myself, so I'm just putting out feelers in various places online and seeing what comes up. Hopefully the online teaching community will be able to help me out!

Whereabouts are you, and would you say your school is strong on a particular one of the things I'm looking into?

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

PM or email me (email is my username at Gmail). Happy to help.

You might also have more luck on Edmodo where there is a more international community of teachers; I often interact there with teachers from local school abroad more than I do here. This site is mostly teachers out of the UK, although this particular forum is obviously focused on those abroad.