1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contacting ‘suggested students’

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Kat100Kat, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Kat100Kat

Kat100Kat New commenter

Has anyone had any success from sending messages to suggested students on the tutor website ( don’t want to mention the name as thread may be removed) ?

I have spaces to fill and I’m not getting any interest at the moment. However, I can see there are ‘suggested students’ looking for a tutor in my area. I’m not sure whether to send messages or not. Do some parents sign up to the website so that tutors will contact them or do tutors always have to wait to be contacted by parents?

I haven’t advertised anywhere else and rely solely on this website at the moment.

Any advice appreciated.

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Very rarely. To the point it never seems to be worth the effort, so I no longer do it.

3. BG54

BG54 New commenter

In the past I've sent a PM a couple of times to such contacts but never had a reply so as above I no longer bother.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I wouldn't, I'd wait for them to contact me.

5. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I did do this when I first joined the website quite a few years ago. I only got one reply to say they already had a tutor. It's probably not worth the effort as they will contact you if genuinely interested and it might make you seem a bit desperate to get students.

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Definitely not! Students (and their parents) need to realise that if they are lucky enough to find a good tutor then, if that tutor decides to take them on (s)he is doing them a massive favour. As such, it is up to them to diligently read prospective tutor's profiles carefully. Only the useless and desperate chase after students: if any are impressed by tutors making the first move then more fool them.

7. Kat100Kat

Kat100Kat New commenter

Ok, thanks for the advice. I’d probably feel a bit awkward contacting the suggested students anyway. It’s just a bit frustrating not having as many students as I’d like when I think there are plenty of potential students near me. Do you think I should put a small ad in the windows of local shops or maybe the library?

8. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I do sometimes search the profiles of potential students close to me. If they are serious they will receive a message that you have viewed their profile and contact you back.
    However there are a lot of inconsiderate clients who post that they are looking for a tutor and give practically no information about themselves. My advice would be to avoid such clients.

Kat100Kat and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

There are already several threads which give ideas about ways to advertise as a tutor so I suggest you have a look at some of those.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

if you mean T. H., @Kat100Kat, I have tried clicking on the 'additional students; but I cannot recall getting anything back from them.

I had one joker yesterday, who wondered if I would tutor two students for £10 -12!

Kat100Kat and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. decj

decj New commenter

I've picked up pupils by contacting 'suggested students' Most don't reply though.:(

Kat100Kat likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

What I do is tag them and view their ad and often they then later contact me., if they happen to be looking. Adjust your search criteria to tutors who have logged in most recently. But there is no harm in emailing them if you want to, I just wouldn’t do it with all the parents as then you would get the reputation of being needy and therefore, by wrong deduction, not as ‘ in demand’ as you should be. Mad, really, as it’s such a commercial market now, but there you go. It’s all a bit down to fate and chance. It can work, especially for eleven plus at this time of year. I think there are certain flash points in the tuition calendar when, if you are low on students or one has just ended their course, you can pick up a fair few. September and October being the main two months! But I think the bit ways are to be vouched for to new sets of parents by existing ones, or be offered the chance to coach a younger sibling. So enjoy your frees while you have them, as you may suddenly find yourself inundated this time next year!

Kat100Kat likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Before contacting the 'suggested students', it is worth looking at their profiles to see when they were last on the T H website, as some of them can be months, or years, old.

14. Kat100Kat

Kat100Kat New commenter

I think I may view the profiles of students, and as you say they may later contact me. I’m primary so I’m wanting the eleven plus students. I’ve only advertised on the one website so it’s just a case of waiting for students to find me. Fingers crossed you’re right about next year. Would love to be inundated!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. Kat100Kat

Kat100Kat New commenter

Thanks JR, that’s a good point. I’ll check to see when the suggested students were last logged on before I view profiles.

16. Mrsmumbles

All you have to do is get good results this year. I am also targeting that age group. Lovely, mostly.

17. Mrsmumbles

Cheeky!!

18. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

I would say go ahead and contact suggested students especially if they are not too far away. Also try not to be a one trick pony. Get signed up to other websites because a different website may have other interested students for you.

Kat100Kat likes this.
  19. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

In general I agree with your point but when you are down in numbers then you need to put more effort in to get the numbers up and that could mean going out of your way to keep numbers high. The more students you have the better you become as a Tutor and the more students you attract. Good luck.

20. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

Yeah I get good responses then they don’t bother signing up. I’m not doing this anymore as I’m not not desperate!