1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

contacting schools directly

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by slippeddisc, Dec 11, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I am starting supply in January and have signed up with 1 agency and have meetings with another 1 tomorrow. Is it also possible to contact schools directly? How does this work in terms of paying you or do you just say you are available through 'x' agency?
    Thanks for any info.

2. slippeddisc

I am starting supply in January and have signed up with 1 agency and have meetings with another 1 tomorrow. Is it also possible to contact schools directly? How does this work in terms of paying you or do you just say you are available through 'x' agency?
    Thanks for any info.

3. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

I get all my work through contacting schools directly as most in my area don't deal with agencies. I had to fill in a form that gave my bank account details to the local authority and gave me a supply teacher number. When I work for a school they fill in my hours on the computer and submit, the local authority pay me each month the combined amounts from all the schools I worked for.

4. slippeddisc

Thanks. So do I need to contact the LA first?

5. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

The first school that booked me gave me a 'Teachers starter form' which they submitted on my behalf. But I have no idea if all LA's do this, I'm in Devon.

6. slippeddisc

7. There is no direct approach available via my LA at all but you are free to get work directly through individual schools. I've tried but with no joy.

8. Does anyone know what the situation is in Kent?

9. I'm in Greater Manchester. I tried this with two schools I know from previous posts/placements who had actually TOLD me to send them my CV at the end of my RTT course, and have heard nothing from either...!

10. slippeddisc

I did end up emailing about 25 schools and heard back from 1 who have put me on their list.
    Took me a while to do as well as had to look up the head's name etc for each school.

11. slippeddisc

On a plus note I have 3 interviews in the next week!

12. Well you did better than me then. I sent out over 20 letters but didn't get a single response.

13. slippeddisc

These interviews aren't from contacting schools about supply. They are through advertised posts. I am good at applications...just not so good with interviews!