1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contacting schools directly

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Rinky444, Apr 7, 2011.

1. hi,

I too am thinking of this approach, but just a query - are you primary teachers? I am secondary science, and a bit worried about an increasing lack of supply used as more schools switch to academies and can rely even more heavily on cover supervisors to cover long term sickness. A couple of people have posted on other posts that they have found this method successful, but is that in secondary too?

2. darkness

darkness New commenter

There was an interesting article with particular attention to supply in South Wales in the TES a few weeks back.

Paying supply teachers as low as £50 a day

I know it true as I was one of those victims, and people, be warned, this is rolling out nationwide. It is only a matter of time before this happens everywhere.

My advice is to completely ditch agencies and approach schools yourself. Set yourself up as self employed and pay the fixed rate national insurance, around £2.50 a week for those self employed.

Provided you don't mind some book keeping, you can undercut agencies, save schools money, be regular far more with certain schools and actually take home more than you would from an agency.

3. darkness

darkness New commenter

And I myself got advice from HMRC on whether I should go self employed or set up a company as I frankly did not wish the tax man to be hunting me down and claiming I was in contravention to things etc etc. This was the advice I got, self employed.

The only supply teachers for those who have read some horror stories about the tax man chasing supply teachers, are those who have been setting up a company, and paying themselves minimum wage only, not the teacher wage, and the rest as dividends. This is where it is seen as tax dodging.