1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contacting Placement School

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ford4610, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Hello All,
    I am starting the GTP in September and am having a few problems contacting my placement school coordinator for a visit to the school before the new academic year. I tried emailing over a week ago, and then telephoning on Monday each to no avail. I wonder what would be the best course of action now? Should I try ringing again tomorrow suggesting that I am given a mutually suitable time to contact the coordinator? I do not wish to appear fussy, but am conscious that with only two weeks left until the end of term I need to get a move on with these things. I am also aware that the end of term can be a time when everything is up in the air, what with sports days, visits, etc.
    It is small but important things which I need to visit to find out (along with getting a feel for the school/students): Do I get a staff planner or do I need to purchase an academic diary; What is the staff dress-code; Do I need to prepare any lessons, starters or plenaries; INSET day arrangements for the start of next term... etc etc. As I say, small things, but all of which will help in not feeling like the start of next term will be a stab in the dark!
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It is vital to get in to help you prepare for next term -suggest you persist-teachers never give up!

3. Many thanks for this! Those are my feelings. I don't want to get to the start of next term and know nothing, which is what it feels like at the moment. Don't want another 8 weeks of this!

4. I would try and phone again, if not could you call in one morning just to say Hello and possibly arrange another time when you could go in?

I have just been in to my placement school and am glad I did before September. It has allowed me to get to know some of the staff I will be working with in September and hopefully I won't be as nervous!