1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contacting new HOD

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Hi all

I am moving from the state sector to the Private sector in January and am both nervous and excited at the same time!

I got offered the job a few weeks back but have had no communication with the HOD at the new school (which I would expect as I'm sure she is absolutely snowed under!)

I teach a core subject and the school I'm going to do a completely new curriculum and exam board etc to where I am now. I am also expecting to maybe teach some A level which I haven't done in 4 years. I want to be as prepared as possible as I know starring at any school in January will be challenging and I'll have to hit the ground running.

My question is when should I contact my new HOD asking for any timetable or areas I will be teaching so I can start preparing at weekends and over the Christmas period?

I was thinking of waiting another 3 weeks into this current term and if I haven't heard anything then get in touch?

Thank you

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Wait 3 weeks and it's basically Christmas.

Ask now. Then s/he can decide for her/himself when/how to tackle your welcome/introduction.

3. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I would contact HR to ask when/if any handover or familiarisation days could take place. Most likely this will be passed to your new HOD and it would be a clear way of introducing yourself without imposing yourself.

576, steely1, JohnJCazorla and 2 others like this.
  4. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

If you have the contact details of the HoD, I'd write a brief email along the lines of

Hello
    I'm looking forward to meeting you in january and in the meantime will be spending some time familiarising myself with the specifications. If there is anything in particular you think I should be focussing on to enamble a smooth traniation in January, please let me know.

FWIW I am also beginning new school, new board in Jan and my school has advised me that there are a few doing a resit on one partcular module in Jan, so to be prepared for support classes there.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Go for the induction day, even if you only get an hour with the HoD you can spend the rest of it running around organising keys, cards, log-ins, car parking, behaviour policy....... and all the million little things that you will be buried under on day 1.

I rate this day so much that I had an unpaid supply day in July for my new September start, supply also. And I didn't see my HoD much on that day either.

install likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

People mention an induction day - have you asked for one? And got permission from your current school? I think I would try that first.

7. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Typing as a HOD myself, I'd rather be asked now than a few weeks down the line when the end of term is approaching and everyone is snowed under with reports, parents' evenings and end-of-term preparations.

Best of luck for your move - sounds exciting.

8. Wilmthrop

Wilmthrop New commenter

Hi! Surprisingly enough I'm currently in an absolutely identical situation. I was thinking of waiting until the end of next week and then contacting the school to enquire about induction procedures.

I can't see how making contact, even if it's more premature than is typical, could be frowned upon at all. Ultimately, it is professional to prepare yourself as best as possible and seek your new school's guidance in doing so!

Good luck :)

phlogiston, steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Bear in mind private schools often have longer holidays, so the Christmas break may start earlier - don't leave it too long!

phlogiston, steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Well done! Email is the more ideal method, so time could be offered between both parties; other than that, ensure all paperwork has been completed well and leave all personal teaching areas tidied and organised for the new appointee.

phlogiston and steely1 like this.
  11. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Bearing in mind it's a January start, you'll want to be asking your HOD to be collating information re. the classes you'll be inheriting from the current person in post. Whether this can be sent to you via a personal email address, however, is another matter, given GDPR. Have you had an email account set up with the school you're moving to and, if so, are you able to access it?