1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contact whilst signed off?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chubbyone, Oct 9, 2018.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Should the HT be contacting whilst signed off by the Dr asking to contact school?

Should whilst signed off planning and work be sent in?

Debate with friend who is off at moment?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I would say generally no, don't reply and refer to your Union.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

4. Sinnamon

Sinnamon Established commenter

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's two separate questions:

(1) Should you be asked to plan and set work when signed off? Definitely not. You are off sick. School has to get someone else to do this.

(2) Should school contact someone who is off sick? There's no yes or no answer to that, but it isn't a rule that school must never contact you if you off sick, especially if it's long term. School needs to keep in touch. Read this: http://www.hse.gov.uk/sicknessabsence/step2.htm

chelsea2, Piranha, Pomza and 4 others like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

No way. Your friend is ill, ill, ill. And it is not a 'war zone'. They need to Ring Union asap. And to focus only on Getting well soon but in their time not the head teacher's. Naughty hts sometimes resort to intimidation tactics - not good. :cool:

agathamorse likes this.
  7. chubbyone

Thanks for the replies.
    In regards to planning work, I have said pretty much what you have said, no as ill so therefore need to rest.

In regards to phoncall it could just be to see how she is. She has informed them that she is off etc.

agathamorse, install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Worth the friend buying an answering machine. The evidence can be handy :cool:

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. chubbyone

She has and it was a voicemail on her mobile I think? As she was asleep in bed when the call came.

install likes this.
  10. Fluffy_Koala

Fluffy_Koala New commenter

Definitely not!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Naaaa, can't possibly. This is TES...WD no less. There are no kind and decent headteachers in the country. :eek:

Clearly the phonecall was bullying in intent and designed to make your friend feel worse. She needs to call her union and fight this nasty scourge of our system.:mad:

No wonder teachers are leaving in their droves if a headteacher telephone to ask after a member of staff who is off sick! How very dare they? :rolleyes:

12. install

install Star commenter

Good. So she ignores the message but keeps it as evidence should she need to.:cool:

13. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Ignoring the message is not a good idea. If you don't feel up to a conversation, send an email acknowledging the call and asking what it concerned. At that point, if they want you to set work, then you can simply say you are not well enough to do so.

14. install

install Star commenter

Phoning back about a message is a very bad idea during illness. They are under no obligation to answer phone messages. They are ill and they may be misquoted.

Far far better for them to clarify this with their Union rather than going it alone. It may be that the Union advises a go between to make contact :)

15. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

I realise some people here may have had unpleasant experiences at schools but I don't think it helps to treat every single query as if the school in question was a mad dictatorship.

16. install

install Star commenter

Better to play it by the book here though. The op has clearly posted because something is not quite right. The Union will help :)

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Do such things still exist?

18. mordrid

mordrid New commenter

Clearly the phonecall was bullying in intent and designed to make your friend feel worse. She needs to call her union and fight this nasty scourge of our system.:mad:

No wonder teachers are leaving in their droves if a headteacher telephone to ask after a member of staff who is off sick! How very dare they?

Your comment seeks to ridicule the idea that some headteachers don't play by the rules.

Replies on this forum advised me to treat ''informal support" protocols as hostile ; those replies probably saved my career.

I think it makes sense to err on the side of caution in today's climate within schools. ( I accept that you would argue that it's certain schools only and not all)

Fluffy_Koala, sabrinakat and install like this.
  19. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

20. install

install Star commenter

Friends and answering machines still do exist :)

agathamorse likes this.