1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contact time

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, Jun 7, 2019.

1. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48554814

About time this hit the headlines though I think the EIS has been a bit conservative with their 20 hr aspiration which means in effect that nothing will happen. I would have went with the OECD average of 17 hrs contact time demonstrating how grossly overworked we are compared to other industrialised nations who outperform us in terms of outcomes despite lower contact times. Employers will moan that they can't afford it, however many LAs already close their schools at Friday lunchtimes to cut costs. Why not go the whole hog and simply shut up shop on Fridays (home study day for pupils, prep day for staff), move to a 4 day teaching week, with 4 hours teaching each day for 16hrs contact time, now that's something to get excited about. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if outcomes improved.

dunnocks likes this.
  2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Tony Blair: "education, education, education".

Nicola Sturgeon: "Judge me on my education record".

Yet, when it comes to actually doing something, nothing happens.

Besides, parents will complain they've no babysitter on a Friday if we go to a 4-day week.

Marisha likes this.
  3. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Councils have no problems cutting day centres, libraries and leisure centres claiming 'we can't afford it'. Some of our council leaders should grow a couple and state the obvious, 'we can't afford a free baby-sitting service 5 days a week, you're on your own on Fridays'. Political suicide I know, but at least it's honest. They could roll-out the 4 day week gradually, first with S5/6 then S3/4, below that I have to admit would be a bit tricky.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    bigjimmy2 likes this.
  4. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

We've already gone down to a four and a half day week in some parts of Lothian, Perth & Kinross and Fife.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. aypi

aypi Established commenter

We have not gone down to anything, we are still doing the same amount of work, it is just our teaching commitment that is squeezed into 4 and a half days.
    Even the 4 and a half is wrong. We have a 5 period friday so it is a 4 and 5/7ths week we work.
    I would argue that we are doing more work since we have to be ready for 7 periods a day rather than 6.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

The joys of the asymmetric week!

Remember this was brought in, not for the benefits of teaching and learning, but so they could screw down teachers to the exact minute their availability for covering absent colleagues.

Add in the "Senior Phase" model, we have 14 year olds now doing three double periods a day on some of our longer days. They can't concentrate for any more than 10 minutes at the best of times, so lets put them in the same class for an hour and forty minutes at a time.

Marisha, GuessWho and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. beharder

beharder Occasional commenter

This is turning into a moanfest

8. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Factfest, or are you moaning?

Marisha likes this.
  9. Effinbankers

If you're looking for inspirational teaching strategies, you're in the wrong place

10. bigjimmy2

The whole of TES is a moanfest. I try desperately to be the biggest moaner at this moanfest. FGS, hadn't you noticed?!

micgbanks, Marisha and Effinbankers like this.
  11. bigjimmy2

Something else beginning with eff-fest maybe?!

12. bigjimmy2

The words "inspirational", "teaching" and "strategies" ought never be used in the same sentence.

Marisha and Effinbankers like this.
  13. bigjimmy2

Teachers make no difference to the lives of young people. Don't ever delude yourself otherwise.

The keen learn in spite of your best efforts. The other 99% don't . . .

14. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

Non contact time and cover for absent colleagues should be up there with workload and indiscipline for a big push by the Unions.

Reassignment of some subjects as practical subjects and allocation of NCCT with a basis of how many kids you actually teach should be a consideration. I teach a practical subject so 20 kids max. In other subjects they have classes up to 33. In terms of marking surely that is unfair.... Particularly for maths/English teachers where the current trend is to fill up classes to the max. The not sure how that would be organised but seems unfair to me.

15. Effinbankers

1. Non contact time is quite clearly specified (yes we'd like more), but I can't believe how many people go below it to "help out". You are not helping out, you are doing someone else out of a job and giving yourself (stupidly) more work. We need to get people to stick to agreed rules first!
    2. Never understood how PE is not practical but subjects like Admin are. Time for a review.
    3. For those teaching more than one level in secondary (e.g. N5 and H in the same room) there should be a maximum class size of 20. Not that I agree with this practice, but something needs to be done in the interim.

Marisha likes this.
  16. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I don't think class size is the major issue for multi-level classes (though that limit would stamp out the practice in many subjects) it's the planning time required to do it effectively, especially in practical subjects like the sciences.

17. Effinbankers

That's what is ridiculous about the whole thing

N4, N5 and Higher have completely different content. You end up concentrating on the majority whilst the 4 or 5 kids at a different level get told to work on these textbook tasks whilst you teach the rest of the class.

Excellence? No way. You would never have put Standard Grade and Higher in the same class, so what has changed?

micgbanks and Marisha like this.
  18. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Maybe not standard grade, but I certainly taught combined int 1, int 2 and access 3 classes. The phenomenon may have got worse under cfe but it's not new.

19. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I had to do that too, but things seem to have got worse of late. I know of a situation where a middle manager had to scream blue murder because a member of the SLT had the spiffing idea of combining French and Spanish in the one class. Well, the teacher was dual qualified...
    That was Nat 4 Spanish plus Nat 4 and Nat 5 French.