1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Contact school and ask about interview date?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Middlemarch, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Am I correct, first of all, in assuming that your current school has a different half-term holiday to the one you've applied to? Or am I misunderstanding?
    Secondly, are you also saying that if you discover the interviews are on one of the 'surprise better-not-be-kayaking holiday' days, you will tell your husband the trip is off?
    I ask, because it's only worth you even considering contacting the school if you're definitely intending to attend. If you do, I'd suggest saying that you'd be grateful if they could let you know as you'll need to do a bit of domestic re-organising if they do invite you for interview.
    I don't think a school HR person would feel you were being pushy about that.

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Yes Middlemarch the dates are different for the holidays and as the closing date for the school I have applied to is the same as the holidays then I would assume they will not be shortlisting until the 14th at the earliest. In Scotland the holiday dates are often different between councils.
    The start date for the post is asap but ideally on or before the 1st of April.
    This job is my dream job. I wasn't really looking but when I opened the TES and saw the advert I just had to apply. Husband will not be happy at all if the dates clash. The trip could be kayaking or worse Munro bagging in which case I will have had a lucky escape! (I love both these activities but was hoping for champagne and 5 course dinners)
    Of course, I may not be shortlisted and then there is no problem or the interviews could be on other dates.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I just second everything that MM says.
    She is my Dream Headmistress. [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. Middlemarch

I must inform other readers that Theo is merely being hugely cheeky and sarky here.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Cheeky, yes, but not sarcastic, MM.
    [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

You two are very funny!
    I will email the school tomorrow and ask them. I really, really, really want this job and my Husband says that it may be possible to rearrange things so I am back on the 21st and could interview then. So that only leaves the 20th where "it is just not possible. At all. End of discussion" for me to interview.
    The stress and suspense may overwhelm me if I don't at least ask the school what date they had in mind!
    Poor Mr Tigger very rarely plans suprises and I must seem like the most ungrateful wife EVER.

7. Middlemarch

I'd be similarly ungrateful if the 'surprise' turned out to be kayaking down the Monros.

8. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

On our first aniversary he took me gorge walking and kayaking. I arrived at the very posh hotel for dinner looking and smelling like a drowned rat. Oh and I was covered in midge bites.
    lessons need to have learned I feel...

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a teacher.
    What have you taught him?
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

10. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

On a public forum I couldn't possibly comment....[​IMG]

11. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Arrgh, total crisis of confidence.
    I sent the email this morning and asked when the interview date would be explaining that as the Feb breaks are different I would need to make some domestic arrangements IF I were to be shortlisted.
    Then met member of SMT in the corridor who asked if I had heard anything. Explained that closing date wasn't until Friday and that I had emailed the school about the interview dates. The reply was
    "That sounds like you have assumed you will be interviewed. You may have just talked yourself out of a job for being too forward. I would have thought they would interview you but now..."
    Really? Is that what I have done? Somebody please help calm me down. Is SMT right?

12. No, SMT is not right!
    I was in this position a few months ago and was still shortlisted but regretfully couldn't go to the interview because it was the date of my operation (lke you, I told the potental emloyer about this when I applied, as the advert didn't give an actual interview date). It didn't put the potential employer off me in the slightest, as the employer expressed genuine disappointment that I couldn't attend, that they would interview me at another time if they failed to appoint another candidate on the day, and wished me luck with the op!
    Sweetly tell this unhelpful person in a professional manner to bog off if he/she hasn't got something more constructive and informed to say!
    My fingers are crossed for you!

13. Please excuse the SPG errors in my previous post! I forgot to use the preview button!

14. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you for your advice. I was just so taken aback by SMT attitude.
    I would have thought it showed that I am keen, organised and able to plan ahead not pushy or arrogant.

15. Middlemarch

I second the view that the member of SMT who was so snarky to you was talking out of their backside.
    As a very experienced head, I would not have advised you to ask if I thought it was the wrong thing to do.
    What's more, I can't think of a head so unprofessional as to consider not shortlisting someone on the grounds that they asked a quite reasonable question about interview dates.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My goodness me!
    I agree with Middlemarsh (my D.H. . .).
    No school would be so daft as to discount a good candidate for this very sensible action.
    Don't worry about it, you have done nothing that would influence a school against you.
    Best wishes

17. Middlemarch

Now, you're looking for a serious slap round the wing-collar, and no mistake...

18. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you both Middlemarch and Theo for your reassurance.
    Maybe just an off day for SMT.
    Theo - you seem to skating on ever thinner ice with Middlemarch. Need I remind you that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned [​IMG]

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just hope Mrs TG doesn't happen to see this . . .
    Best wishes

20. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Do the ladies gang up on you?