1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

contact lenses

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jonowen, May 2, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi, where do you buy your Toric contact lenses from? I've been a Vision Express customer for years and just received a rather threatening text saying I'm due an eye test and if I allow this to become overdue my lenses will not be sent out to me. I live 120 miles from the store and went to VE in the 1st place as they offered delivery as part of the lenses deal; it will be inconvenient to say the least if I have to collect them in person!!
    Seriously, I will not be bullied into buying anything and I'm very tempted to cancel my Direct Debit. Even if they had said it is advisable to have this test (I'm all for health and safety) and to continue with present postal arrangement "we need to see you" that would have been OK but I don't want to let them away with this.
    Thanks

2. jonowen

Hi, where do you buy your Toric contact lenses from? I've been a Vision Express customer for years and just received a rather threatening text saying I'm due an eye test and if I allow this to become overdue my lenses will not be sent out to me. I live 120 miles from the store and went to VE in the 1st place as they offered delivery as part of the lenses deal; it will be inconvenient to say the least if I have to collect them in person!!
    Seriously, I will not be bullied into buying anything and I'm very tempted to cancel my Direct Debit. Even if they had said it is advisable to have this test (I'm all for health and safety) and to continue with present postal arrangement "we need to see you" that would have been OK but I don't want to let them away with this.
    Thanks

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Specsavers.

But, ALL opticians are required to retest and check you frequently in order to keep sending you lenses, so changing your supplier may not help.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

What's the problem with just having an eye test?

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I buy mine online here:
    http://www.lenstore.co.uk/

I make sure I get a full eye-test and an eye health check once a year before ordering my new lenses. This means I can book at my own convenience. Although I have to pay for my check ups (often included for free if you are on Direct Debit with an Opticians) the saving I make online still outweighs the cost of lenses+check up.

6. jonowen

Nothing at all, as I said I'm all for health and safety. It's the 'pointing the finger at me' tone of the message I'm annoyed with, also I have been a good spending customer of VE for years and never experienced this tone. I suspect there is a newbie on this who does not understand the power of the spoken word!
    Thanks for the recommendations

7. I use getlenses - I have had a recent check and boughtsome leses from the optician so I knew my eyes were OK but as I didn't have the paperwork I have to buy from their dutch site.
    There are loads of online suppliers, just google the brand and prescription of your lenses to find one and check prices.

8. Any online supplier will also require a prescription done in the last two years. It doesn't need to be a VE prescription - just go to your nearest opticians to get one and then fax/post a copy to VE.
    It is a legal requirement.

9. jonowen

Thanks Chrissi!
    I phoned and the lovely guy explained my eye-test ran out a while ago.........oh yes, he said, in April (hmmm?) Think I'll just stick with them as he did apolgise profusely for the tone and blamed it in them only being allowed a certain number of characters per message!
    BTW, I live 120 miles from the nearest large opticians (our local wee one is way too expensive and not sure how long it will remain a viable business anyway). To the folk who said it is "routine" and all on-line insist on tests too - how can they sell lenses in boxes of 450+ and offer discount? I only need 52 lenses a year at the most which makes for 450 lasting me at least 4 years so I can't work that one out!
    Anyone for laser-surgery?
    [​IMG] (pardon the pun!)

10. jonowen

I mean 450 as a discounted price

11. There's probably a loop hole which means the prescription needs to be valid at the time of sale of contact lenses. it is definitely a legal requirement for them to be able to sell you lenses over the internet, though.

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Mr Tarte and I are with Specsavers. Never had any problems.

13. 450 lenses? bloody hell I buy a packet of 10 (daily disposables - don't wear them all the time).

I did find a place doing a month's supply of dailies for £4.99

14. Get more interesting tips on buying online for contact lenses online. Caring and wearing tips for contact lenses. Order online contact lenses at best discount price at http://www.contactlensesexpress.co.uk

15. I would recommend a online contact lenses store which provides contact lenses for less price. I had ordered contact lenses for less price. Found more tips on buying contact lenses, Caring tips, wearing tips online. I had got upto 70% off on buying contact lenses and lots more offers from http://www.contactlensesexpress.co.uk

16. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr>
    <td class="xl65" style="height:107.25pt;width:408pt;">I got
    my eyes tested previously at my local optican, but then ordered my contact
    lenses
    online from Vision Express. I could drive to my local store
    (35 miles), but they delivery mine to my doorstep. I see where your coming
    from in terms of text messaging, but the service I've revicieved over the
    past 3 years doesn'twarrantly going elsewhere (but that's my peronsal
    experience with them). </td>
    </tr></table><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr>
    <td class="xl65" style="height:107.25pt;width:408pt;"> </td>
    </tr></table>

17. I got my eyes tested previously at my local optician, butI then ordered my contact lenses online from Vision Express. I could drive to my local store (35 miles), but they delivery mine to my doorstep. I see where your coming from in terms of text messaging, but the service I've received over the past 3 years doesn't warrant going elsewhere (but that's my personal experience with them).