1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Consultancy rates / resources writing rates - what to charge - HELP!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by annagriffin, Feb 22, 2016.

1. annagriffin

annagriffin New commenter

I've been a teacher for over 18 years and am now running my own small business. I have been offered the opportunity to put together a six week teaching resource pack for a large company that could be delivered in schools across the country as part of their education package. It could be quite a big deal!

Problem is, I have no idea what to charge as a daily rate?!

Does anyone have any experience of this OR have some idea of what sort of fee to ask for?

Many thanks

Anna

2. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

To be honest there are too many variables in this to give you an accurate answer.
    How long will it take you to produce the materials ?; how "in demand " are your skills ?; what are the associated costs apart from your time ? ; how long will re-edits take ?; will you be working from home; ? is this your only income ?; how much tax/NI/pension will you be paying etc etc etc.

You could go back to the company and ask what their budget ceiling is for the work and then see if it is financially worthwhile. When I've done this sort of work in the past the company has usually quoted an overall figure rather than a daily rate. Sometimes these seem very lucrative but when you sit down work it all out the daily rate can be very poor.

Nowadays I would say to make it even vaguely worthwhile you really have to be grossing more than £300 per day

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a ball park my son was on a course for IT (big level in computer security) his company pays the firm running it £1500 a week per person.the course is over £4000 to access and the tutor is on £2000 a day.

So work out how long its going to take to put together.say £350 a day. then if your teaching it.£400 a day,
    If you are designing and letting them have copyright you do need to consider a fee for this...Myself i would have thought r-3 thousand or more to make its going to make them a lot of money if successful.
    the thing is it depends if your going to get more work out of this or if its a one off.whether you retain copyright so can resell the idea again .If it become successful you could end up regretting this if you release it.
    Have you asked the firm what figure they are considering?
    I might on the other hand be to low in price