1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Constructing a good interview lesson

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by SEBREGIS, May 14, 2019.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I’m having a bit of an issue with interview lessons.

Seems to me you have to include everything in a normal lesson, but make it explicitly obvious. So lesson objectives, clear explanations (with students you don’t know) aft, plenary etc.

I get all that but Like all of us, my students are familiar with the kind of shorthand we use. I don’t have to say ‘if you feel that you have understood the lesson and can give examples of how to make progress, etc, draw a smiley face. A smiley face looks like this...) I can just say ‘do your smilies.’ So all these basics take longer.

And my idea of a good lesson is for me to do as little as possible and for the students to do as much as possible. But interview lessons need to demonstrate your skill at explanation, behaviour management etc. So I can’t just differentiate the tasks and walk round supporting.

And often, you don’t get the full 60 minutes of a lesson because it has to be set up by the school etc.

So - what do you think is the solution?

2. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

I always have very obvious starter, main and plenary. If its GCSE or A level the plenary is generally a past paper question. Figures this shows that you've appreciated which exam board they do and made the effort to get correct resources. If at all possible I try and have the students doing independent work through completing examples or a discussion section. This gives you the oppportunity to move around the room and interact with individuals and small groups. My take on interview lessons is that they want to see how you respond to the students and how the students respond to you......... The content as long as its relevant is 2nd to that.

I'm had reasonable success with interviews....... Applied for 4 jobs this year..... got interviews for 3..... job offers from 2....

The lesson is always the most nerve wracking part for me and I find the planning of it very stressful!

BYusuf and agathamorse like this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Hm...

Just had feedback on a recent interview. They felt that students were not given long enough to do independent work. Plus some parts of the lesson didn’t seem to really fit with the objectives. Which I think comes down to me trying to fit in everything they might want to see, rather than just teaching a good lesson the way I normally would.

BYusuf and agathamorse like this.
  4. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

Its impossible to show everything that you think they want to see. I think you should stick closer to your "normal" teaching style. You'll feel more comfortable and that will come through in the way you interact with the class. I've always tried to take the heat of myself by having the class discuss or do independent tasks. You show skill at behaviour management by drawing them out of that and bringing the class together at the end of the task.

5. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi SEBREGIS,

In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head when you said about 'teaching a good lesson the way I normally would'.

Observation lessons during a job interview are stressful enough without adding a different style of teaching to the mix. Demonstrating what you can do with your usual teaching strategies / routines, would help to make you feel slightly more comfortable. So your aim should be to find lesson observation strategies which work best for you, the students you are teaching and which clearly demonstrate good quality teaching / learning within the given timescale.

Learning activities must tie in with each learning objective that is shared at the start of the lesson. If this doesn't happen then a valid question which springs to mind is, what's the purpose of the activity the students are doing?

I second what @snowfairy shared above, particularly with regards to using an exam question.

Lastly, if you use particular strategies such as 'use your smileys', have one power point slide (or sheet) with clear instructions that can be explained and modelled within a minute.

All the best with future interviews.

Regards,

Bukky

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.