1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Constant observation and scrutiny

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by johnsmithson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. johnsmithson

johnsmithson New commenter

The pressure is most startling in challenging contexts (aka. Inner city demographics).
    Do other teachers feel the unrelenting pressure from learning walks, student voice and stating the obvious in briefings has deskilled teaching to being not too different to working in a factory?
    Schools with teachers over the age of 50 are a thing of the past.
    Teachers are now working 6.45 to 7 everyday.
    How can this be sustainable?

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I suppose, like the attrition battles of WW1, it will go on until the supply of cannon-fodder (teachers, or anyone willing to try and teach) runs out.

3. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

It cannot be sustainable. (I’m on a day off and my baby is sleeping which is why I’m responding during school hours). It’s 2 weeks into the school year and 90% of my colleagues look broken. The scrutiny is unbelievable where I work. I feel immense pressure working part time; I can’t imagine how it is for those working longer and harder than I am. I don’t want to be part of this anymore. This isn’t teaching as I thought it was.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It isn't sustainable.

It's why I retired early in 2013. The writing on the wall!

Didn't want to be micromanaged. Where's the fun in that? You want identikit lessons from a drone? Then get a drone.

5. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

I feel your pain. We have been told that we will be monitored every week as results "took a huge dip". Not exactly motivating. Already feeling the pressure and we're only two and a bit weeks in. We have also been told that as a rural school, we've done worse than those in the cities. Hey ho.
    Not really sure if I have any advice to offer - more like a "I get you".

6. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

Sating the obvious in briefings drives me mad...

7. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

In briefing the other day a member of slt told us that 4.15 was quarter past four. Jaysus.

8. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Make a fuss about writing it down...

9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Of the ones there the one that riles me the most is student f'ing voice.

10. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

The term ‘learning walk’ makes me cringe.

11. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I am 59
    Just started one year temp contract
    If they want to keep seeing me on learning walks/scrutinise etc then they can get someone else to do the job

(They won’t have many applicants however)

12. johnsmithson

johnsmithson New commenter

Agreed. The term learning walk is not only patronising, but most often "delivered" (to use their own crass parlance) by teachers who can't cut it on the chalkface. Mediocre teachers are often rewarded with promotion if suitably sycophantic and disingenuous.

Grandsire, tonymars and agathamorse like this.
  13. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I'd like to say I don't think they realise how stressful it is but I think the reality is that they just don't care.

I'm exhausted. Despite already working flat out, more and more and more just keeps being piled on.

14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Very true. It's not just that the don't care but also I think some Senior leaders get a kick out of putting others under pressure just because they can.

15. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Remember the reason why we teach so many classes which are over full of students is so there can be more SLT walking around with their clip boards!

16. install

install Star commenter

It isnt. So do the minimum :cool:

17. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

Yes men or women get the promotions. The ones easy to manipulate. In education one can ask and get if one is prepared to be a sycophant

18. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Results 'took a huge dip.'

But hold on. I didn't think "results" mattered any more.

19. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Yeah. But what stick will they beat us with then?

Bedlam3 likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It’s not! Roll on 2022...