1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Constant low level that escalates

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Ohajiki, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Any advice would be gratefully received.
    I have a lower set group of 16 students, 7-8 of which are known disrupters in other lessons. They are also all know each other.
    I have close on to constant low-level disruption in the classroom: begging for equipment, calling out, swinging on chairs, not starting work etc and I just cannot keep tabs on it all and I find myself getting sucked in between asking their (often irrelevant) questions, asking for help, telling to stop talk, sorting problems etc. I try to praise but the disruption takes over and by the end of the lesson I am exhausted.
    The response from above is crack down on them hard and I keep being told 'send them out' but once they are sent out I then have to organise work for them and leave the others to get more out of control. I seem to have no authority whatsoever and cracking down on them tends to provoke constant arguments and grudges.
    I am struggling to keep consistent order, get the work done, push them higher (a BIG focus at my school - we are on a huge progress drive and target grades rule) and get them sorted for work.
    I think it's a failed observation for me basically.

2. Any advice would be gratefully received.
    I have a lower set group of 16 students, 7-8 of which are known disrupters in other lessons. They are also all know each other.
    I have close on to constant low-level disruption in the classroom: begging for equipment, calling out, swinging on chairs, not starting work etc and I just cannot keep tabs on it all and I find myself getting sucked in between asking their (often irrelevant) questions, asking for help, telling to stop talk, sorting problems etc. I try to praise but the disruption takes over and by the end of the lesson I am exhausted.
    The response from above is crack down on them hard and I keep being told 'send them out' but once they are sent out I then have to organise work for them and leave the others to get more out of control. I seem to have no authority whatsoever and cracking down on them tends to provoke constant arguments and grudges.
    I am struggling to keep consistent order, get the work done, push them higher (a BIG focus at my school - we are on a huge progress drive and target grades rule) and get them sorted for work.
    I think it's a failed observation for me basically.

3. The key here is prepare, prepare, prepare.
    1. The teachers and senior staff will all know these kids. Get your seating plan and make an appointment to see their HOY. Ask him/her to go through it with you, and ask for assistance in getting them into this seating plan, if necessary.
    2. I don't normally recommend this, but for this class I would get 16 pens and 16 pencils and give them what they need - it's all work avoidance
    3. Get some work packs photocopied, stapled and ready, so if you do have to send someone out, you don't have to faff around looking for something they can do.
    4. Focus on getting them into some work - make it EASY to start with - something to decode, something to colour in... get them focussed first, and make sure all your questions are about the work.
    5. Ignore questions that are irrelevant
    6. Phone parents - make it a positive as well as a negative. Tell them you are going to make 3 positive phone calls home today and look for things to praise. Put a tick next to their name whenever you praise them.
    7. Keep negatives non-verbal
    8. Keep your head completely still when you say something negative.
    9. Own your territory, walk around your room a lot, don't just stick to the front of the room