1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conspiracy Theories: academies and the end of QTS.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nixmith, Mar 22, 2016.

1. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Well I'm absolutely gutted by the lack over media coverage of the forced academisation process AND the scrapping of qualified teacher status, both policies announced last week.

I realise that the whole u-turn on PIP cuts has taken precedence, plus there have been resignations and political in-fighting (on both sides) but because of this, the education issues are not getting the coverage they both need and deserve.

Good to see the NUT organising protest marches on the Academy issue, that is something at least (plus there are two online petitions), but what about the QTS matter, which nobody seems to be talking about.

I was very disappointed back in 2012 (if I recall correctly - the news was sneakily announced on the day the Olympics began, by Michael Gove) that academies could ignore the QTS when recruiting staff and how did the Unions respond to that?

Here is how I see things panning out: firstly - all schools have to become academies or commit to so doing in the next few years whilst at the same time QTS ends with this 'on the job', constant re-evaluation thing taking its place. At the same time harder SATs tests this year and new, more demanding GCSEs come into force, in 2017.

It is like a 'Perfect Storm' because as results drop (as they most surely will) the Government can say we are responding by making all schools Academies. Teacher recruitment crisis??? What teacher recruitment crisis, because when any 'Tom, Dick or Harriet' can be put in the classroom irrespective of their status (and on an instructors pay no doubt) they will find people willing to 'try' the job. Plus, will the salary savings made be used for better equipment and more support staff? Or will it just help pay the monster salaries of the Heads and MAT overseers.

I wonder if the decisions of a few years ago (regarding more rigorous SATs and GCSEs, that are about to come into play) were made in the knowledge that 100% academisation was going to be initiated around now? (Hence the conspiracy tag in my O.P.)

I ask again, why is this not in the news? & what are the Unions doing to raise these issues NOW?

P.S. I wonder what would happen if the Government suddenly announced that people didn't have to have a medical degree nor seven years training to be a Doctor. They could try the role in an 'Academy' hospital earning their 'L' plates so to speak & if not too many people died, they would be signed off as a fully-fledged surgeon, at some unspecified future point.... I know teachers don't have the power of life or death, but kids only get one chance at an education and really, is this combination of 100% academies and an end to QTS really the right way to go?

InkyP, Caligraphy, lilachardy and 5 others like this.
  2. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

You didn't put in the bit about removing the need for a teaching qualification will create a workforce unable to teach overseas, neatly closing that escape route.

All these academies will soon be filled with low-paid, keen young things who are 'training on the job' for the few years before they burn out and are replaced. This will be attractive, as it will help young teachers avoid the cost of paying for qualification. To be honest, being able to plan and deliver effective, memorable, life-changing education is not a requirement now the new testing regime simply expects children are drilled in the standard written methods for calculation and the rules of grammar. So much for crafting a story, investigating a pattern in numbers, or creativity - you'll just need to simply read the script, show the powerpoint, and mark the assessments.

For me, trouble was in the air one winter a few years ago when many schools were closed due to snow, and the government suggested it was time for anyone to pop into their local school and give it a go so that all the parents could go to work. Any profession which is held in such low esteem by the government surely has its days numbered. This is merely the next step.

InkyP, Caligraphy, lilachardy and 4 others like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So entry to teaching qualification was made harder [2:1 or over] to improve the quality of teachers... so creating a shortage of graduates coming in when the economy picked up... and at the same time Academies could take on unqualified staff because 'THE BLOB!!!'.

Yeah that made sense...

Caligraphy likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If you are a parent, you are able to ask (in writing) the academy your child attends how many of the teachers are fully qualified, and to insist that your child is only taught by a fully-qualified member of staff. You won't get anywhere of course, but at least it puts the issue on a formal footing.

It does look like the writing is on the wall in terms of QTS. You can guarantee that whatever replaces it will be a cheaper short cut which will enable the government to claim that "teachers" are "qualified".

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Caligraphy, delnon and wanet like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I really don't think this has been thought through. Why will non-qualified staff want to work in a school? Why will they accept a lower rate of pay? Maybe the thought is young people will see it in the same light as Teach First, go and do the baptism of fire and then proudly put it on their cv "Survived the utter shyte from every direction for 2 years as a teacher in the state system". The message is getting out, teaching is not a good or easy or so well paid a thing to do any more.

Lowering the bar to get in isn't going to make people think "thank god I can just be a teacher without training now", more likely "what? you expect me to teach without even being trained properly first?!"

There is an assumption that teacher training is pointless and makes no difference and that trained teachers have been preventing untrained others from getting jobs in schools.

The people in charge are probably remembering that nice old chap who used to pop in the teach the cello to those boys in 4C on a Thursday.

Where's the popcorn?

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Not forgetting of course that white paper also take about new programmes and texts, presumably those anyone with a pulse could simply read from... I recall this approach when I lived overseas many years ago...In that case you only needed to have got through school to get into ITT, and the text books were all actually scripted.

Perhaps that's it, recruit all the out of work or 'resting' actors because they're good at reading scripts...

phlogiston likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The thin edge of this wedge appeared with OFSTED, about twenty years ago. I remember going to a staff meeting in preparation for our first inspection, during which an 'expert' told us that our lesson plans should be detailed enough so that 'anyone could walk in off the street and teach the lesson'. "So what's the point of us?" we thought, naïvely.

Caligraphy, phlogiston and WJClarkson like this.
  8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The popcorn is in the heads of those poor saps who think they can just walk into a school and teach, enjoy those fabled short working days and long holidays, and that life will be a breeze.

Not to worry! Already, the head honchos of MATs are assembling teams of gurus* - not necessarily their own friends and relatives - who in return for a substantial fee will ensure that the new recruits are given more than enough Special High-Intensity Training.

*so called because after three decades of government reforms, few people can spell 'charlatans'

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That reality does exist for me at the moment ... but I have to be supply to achieve it.

If I went onto a contract I'd find myself having to do all the nonsense that comes with it. Downside of course is I can't contribute to the pension [one of the few perks].

guinnesspuss likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

NOT NECESSARILY THEIR OWN FRIENDS AND RELATIVES ;);););););)

Loving this thread!

guinnesspuss, NQT1986 and cissy3 like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

[​IMG]

12. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter

They won't just drop. They will fall off a cliff.

13. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

Because they want to teach.

They don't have to.
    I was paid on M6 equivalent as a UQT.
    So was my next-classroom-to-me UQT colleague.

14. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I love the special high intensity training! A fine acronym :)

15. Mangleworzle

You reckon - dream on.

ValentinoRossi and NQT1986 like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Imagine if the same was said for doctors... or brick layers or car mechanics...

'Oh I so want to be a doctor, but I'm unqualified'
    'Welcome to Die-with-us hospital'

'Oh I so want to be a car mechanic but I'm unqualified'
    'Welcome to botched-job-and-breakdown garages'

'Oh I so want to be a brick layer but I'm unqualified'
    'Welcome to dilapidated-and-rundown property developers'

InkyP, ValentinoRossi, cissy3 and 3 others like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Good morning ladies and gentlemen to this BA flight to Berlin taking two hours. I'm your unqualified pilot who just fancied a go at flying. Enjoy your flight.

Ah good morning Mr Smith, I'll be taking your driving test today. Me? No, don't drive myself, never learned, but gosh I so wanted to be a driving test examiner I just thought I'd give it a go.

Sounds really stupid outside of teaching, inside teaching it's government policy.

18. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

Car mechanics and brick layers can train on the job just fine.
    So can teachers.

19. Mangleworzle

Results in worse teachers in my experience. That was with university input, if it's down to the self serving HT's and SMT's we have these days, then god help them.

Do you think that teaching is no more difficult than brick laying or being a car mechanic?

20. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Or driving an HGV? No qualifications needed for that, surely! :rolleyes: